Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Pedestrian crossings - what's the law?

Options
  • 12-05-2010 11:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭

I don't mean zebra crossings or pedestrian light crossings, I mean those crossings which look like crossings, yet have no push-button lights, no zebras, just two painted parallel lines on the road, which indicate a walkway for pedestrians from one side of the road to the other.

I know I've not explained very well, and I can't seem to find any pics online of what I'm trying to refer to, but does anyone know the ones I mean?

Anyway, my question is, what's the law on these? I mean, are cars legally required to stop and let pedestrians walk, as in the case of zebra crossings or pedestrian light crossings?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,479 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I always thought those lines went in in advance of proper infrastructure going in to allow some familiarisation but were not an actual crossing.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Anyway, my question is, what's the law on these? I mean, are cars legally required to stop and let pedestrians walk, as in the case of zebra crossings or pedestrian light crossings?
    There's no law on these. Cars aren't required to stop to allow pedestrians to cross. They're quite rare and generally only occur where a set of ped. lights has been removed (or hasn't been installed yet), but the markings on the road remain.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

seamus wrote: »
    There's no law on these. Cars aren't required to stop to allow pedestrians to cross. They're quite rare and generally only occur where a set of ped. lights has been removed (or hasn't been installed yet), but the markings on the road remain.

I see, thanks. There are a few here in Waterford. There's one opposite the Garda station which has been here at least as long as I've lived here (5 years). They also exist near to many roundabouts in the city.

So if cars aren't required to stop, is it unlawful if they do stop? I passed my driving test in England and I learnt that it's unlawful for a driver to stop to allow pedestrians to cross the road, other than at a zebra / pelican / pedestrian light crossing, since it is unsafe for the pedestrian(s).

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

I always thought those lines went in in advance of proper infrastructure going in to allow some familiarisation but were not an actual crossing.

Some exist for years. I have heard them described as "Courtesy crossings". I believe they have no legal effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

So if cars aren't required to stop, is it unlawful if they do stop? I passed my driving test in England and I learnt that it's unlawful for a driver to stop to allow pedestrians to cross the road, other than at a zebra / pelican / pedestrian light crossing, since it is unsafe for the pedestrian(s).
    "Unlawful" is a tough word to use because it implies that there's a specific law which prevents you from doing it. In the UK, they tend to be stricter and more cut-and-dried about road traffic stuff. If stopping at one of these crossings puts pedestrians at risk, then it's likely that in the UK you will routinely be charged with careless driving (or something) if/when you do stop, even if nobody is at risk.

Over here, stopping in the middle of the road to allow pedestrians to cross isn't specifically illegal and you're unlikely to receive any kind of charge or warning unless you specifically endanger a pedestrian (e.g. by waving them across in front of oncoming traffic).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I'd just use common sense at them. I know this isn't an answer, but hey.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I've seen a few other types as well
    -orange beacons but no "zebra"
    -island in the centre of the road with a non standard sign implying that you should yield to pedestrians.
    -yellow and black "zebra" crossing in shopping centre car parks, no beacons.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Thank you Seamus.

I think your comparison between the implementation / interpretation of road traffic rules in Ireland and the UK is spot on.

This is so frustrating - how are people supposed know what constitutes a legal or an illegal act in this country, if "common sense" seems to prevail with so many things?

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭iphone4g

if "common sense" seems to prevail with so many things?

If common sense was common it would be great

• Advertisement

iphone4g wrote: »
    If common sense was common it would be great

Precisely.

Advertisement