Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shimla Buffet(?!!!)

Options
  • 12-05-2010 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭

A friend and I went to the Shimla "Buffet" on Sunday.

My understanding of a buffet is that there would have been different dishes that you could serve yourself and try them all.

I think calling what they offer a buffet very misleading. Basically you can just order a starter and a main.

Also at the front of the menu they state you can eat as much as you like. However, we were told we could only order one main and one starter.

Has anyone else had the Shimla "Buffet"?

Does anyone think this is misleading?

And what about saying you could eat all you like....????

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

A friend and I went to the Shimla "Buffet" on Sunday.

My understanding of a buffet is that there would have been different dishes that you could serve yourself and try them all.

I think calling what they offer a buffet very misleading. Basically you can just order a starter and a main.

Also at the front of the menu they state you can eat as much as you like. However, we were told we could only order one main and one starter.

Has anyone else had the Shimla "Buffet"?

Haven't been to it but I pass it sometimes and often wondered what it was like.. looks tiny from the outside.

That sounds like a bit of a ride alright, did you not challenge them on it???

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,028 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

If you think you've been had, contact the Consumers Association and they can advise you what to do about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

Thanks for the replies.

It was very hard to get any type of explanation from the staff - I think they were deliberately being vague and unhelpful

I asked them 3 times about the buffet. Was it still on? How does it work? How many meals can you get? Etc. I was given very unclear answers and eventually we ascertained that it was just a starter and main.

Thanks for the link, I will consider contacting consumers association.

I was hoping someone else had been and could say whether they think I am concerned over something that really is not a big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Ahh..... the Shimla mystery continues, how it is still in business is utterly amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,500 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I used to get takeaway from it - it seemed to have a considerable takeaway business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Mmmm... Shimla.

*drools.

That sounds like a bit of a racket alright. Either it's a buffet, or it's not, but don't call it one when it isn't.

In saying that, the take away food is delicious and surprisingly competively priced. We got starters 2 main courses, popadoms for just over €20.

Have made a decision not to take this further as I love their takeaway so much. Wouldn't like to cause them any difficulties.......which may affect their business......

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

oh thank god! I love Shimla so much. Really missed it when it was closed.

At the end of the day for a started & main it is still very good value. They should just not call it buffet/all you can eat!!!!!

amdublin wrote: »
    oh thank god! I love Shimla so much. Really missed it when it was closed.

At the end of the day for a started & main it is still very good value. They should just not call it buffet/all you can eat!!!!!

Yes, I have to agree wth you.

I certainly thought it was good value.....but it was the misleading aspect that I was not happy with.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    Ahh..... the Shimla mystery continues, how it is still in business is utterly amazing.

Because it does the most amazing food :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭irishfeller

amdublin wrote: »
    Because it does the most amazing food :confused:

Have to agree - it is way better than all the other Indian restaurants I have tried in the area. Its a pity it doesn't deliver tho....its a pain havin to pick up the food.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Matches

I got a voucher for Simla the other day for popodoms, starter, main with either rice or nann and a beer or a glass of wine for €15 per person. Sweet deal.

Advertisement