Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTLDR is missing ?

Options
  • 12-05-2010 10:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭

Hi, looking for some help..
    Was using my desktop yesterday when it froze..
    I rebooted but now get NTLDR is missing error.

I've searched but cannot find my WinXP disk anywhere, just empty case !!:mad:

Is there any other way round this error??
    Or failing that If I purchase another XP disk can I recover the error with a new disk?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭dMaN24

First the embarrasing part: Doublecheck you don't have anything that the pc could be booting from apart from the harddrive. Cdrom/floppy/secondary hdd etc.

In case you can.. try to get a hold of a win xp-cd.
    Copy
    D:\i386\ntldr C:\ and
    D:\i386\ntdetect.com C:\

(where "D:" is the dvd-drive. Must be copied to the rootdirectory of C:\)

Not sure if there is any other way of solving this. But that's what google gave me. :)

Edit: Found this also:
    http://www.tinyempire.com/notes/ntldrismissing.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Checked the "tinyempire" website and it pointed to some things to check...
    Turns out that the boot priority of my HHD's had somehow been reversed ??

Don't know how this would have happened??

Thanks...

now...off to backup some files :o

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

all you need to do is change the partition that is set active

a reinstall is not needed

to confirm this you could make an XP windows boot disk on another XP machine
    with ntldr ntdetect.com
    and the boot.ini form your machine on it

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

bbam wrote: »
    Checked the "tinyempire" website and it pointed to some things to check...
    Turns out that the boot priority of my HHD's had somehow been reversed ??

Don't know how this would have happened??

Thanks...

now...off to backup some files :o

If it's the boot priority for two separate physical hard drives, you can set this back in your BIOS - hit Del or F2 on startup and you should be able to find the relevant settings.

If it's the boot priority on a single multi-partition drive, you can change the active partition with something like GParted.

Advertisement