Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Gear box problem or just a one off ?

Options
  • 12-05-2010 10:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

I'd appreciate some advice on a problem I had with the car last night.

I went to a meeting and reverse parked into a parking spot. When I left I couldn't get the car into first so started off in second. As I went on I realised I couldn't get into third or fifth either. When I got home I stopped the car. I started again and reversed a few metres. I was then able to get into first, third , etc. This morning there was no problem either.

What could have caused the problem in the first place. Could it have been a one off. I think I may have been moving very slowly forward in second gear when I put the car in reverse, could that have thrown out the gear box?

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

What type of car is it, year, miles, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭ktc1

07 Mondeo (new model), 45,000 KM. Never had a problem before and just after service

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

A loose or faulty engine mounting can make strange things happen to the gear change. Might be worth a quick check.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Pov06

Gear linkage could have half slid off, or something, then popped back into place ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

Do you have to do something like press down on the gear stick to get the car into reverse ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Mondeo is a lift ring below 5th

Advertisement