Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fast connection between two buildings - thoughts on fiber

Options
  • 12-05-2010 9:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭

While Wifi connections between buildings are fine (have one already setup between 3 houses) they are kinda slow for moving large files.
    Thought about it for awhile as I will need to do this type of connection in the coming year or so with a new house build (fingers crossed!!!).

In my mind, to have a (very) fast/reliable and free of interference connection, I would need to go down the fiber route.
    Doesn't look that expensive really - yea just need a media converter to convert from CAT5/6 RJ45 to fibre - I'm sure there would be a cost issue between single mode and multi mode and also the distances they could travel. Speeds of 100Mb/s easily, maybe even 1000Mb/s if yea can spend the money to get single mode media converters and single mode fibre run. Also, would need to ensure the media converter could drive the 100 or so meters

Copper route is a no-no if the buildings are separate as I remember from my networking learning days - believe your not meant to have a circuit of any sort between builds that have separate electrical circuits.

Anyone have more input on this who has more experience with fibre driving, media converters, prices etc?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

First of all forget singlemode as your not a telecoms provider. What you need is multimode 2 or 4 pair cable, maybe either direct buriel or armoured or depending on the set up just an outdoor cable protected in a pipe or conduit. The media convertors are getting cheaper. The hardest part about fibre is the termination and testing. Most used to use Fusion Splicing but we use mechanical splicing now as its much cheaper and as reliable..

there are a lot of variables so its impossible to give you a guide on pricing. Maybe if you could describe the site in detail and the comms cabinet set ups if any and Ill give you an idea of the rough cost of materials.. these can be bought in any good networking supplier in Ireland..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

FusionNet wrote: »
    First of all forget singlemode as your not a telecoms provider. What you need is multimode 2 or 4 pair cable, maybe either direct buriel or armoured or depending on the set up just an outdoor cable protected in a pipe or conduit. The media convertors are getting cheaper. The hardest part about fibre is the termination and testing. Most used to use Fusion Splicing but we use mechanical splicing now as its much cheaper and as reliable..

there are a lot of variables so its impossible to give you a guide on pricing. Maybe if you could describe the site in detail and the comms cabinet set ups if any and Ill give you an idea of the rough cost of materials.. these can be bought in any good networking supplier in Ireland..

-=-
    kerbdog wrote:
    I'm sure there would be a cost issue between single mode and multi mode and also the distances they could travel. Speeds of 100Mb/s easily, maybe even 1000Mb/s if yea can spend the money to get single mode media converters and single mode fibre run. Also, would need to ensure the media converter could drive the 100 or so meters
    macrubicon wrote: »
    If your talking about shorter distances - in and around sub 300m multimode is a good choice. However the multimode cable does seem to be a little more expensive than single mode at the moment and you would have to offset the differencial price in the media converters.

In terms of the Media converters, we have a few sets that set us back about €100 for the pair so not that expensive - and they are the gig sets. Picked them up from Wood Communications if my memory serves me.
    kerbdog wrote:
    Copper route is a no-no if the buildings are separate as I remember from my networking learning days - believe your not meant to have a circuit of any sort between builds that have separate electrical circuits.
    macrubicon wrote: »
    Yep - not a good idea for various reasons mainly around earthing I seem to recall but am open to correction!

The other thing in using fibre is getting the right cable - if you are running it in an duct that may flood or freeze you will want to make sure you get indoor/outdoor cable suitable for the duct. If there is a significant rodent risk or it's under a heavily used area you may want to consider armoured or rodent resistant cable.

Then you will have to add on the costs for termination etc.

The good news is that most bulk suppliers will have rolls of offcuts from other jobs that you may be able to buy from at a significant discount etc.

Thanks for the replies lads.
    More details are the houses are about 100-200m apart, i can easily lay a services pipe between the two houses in the future for this would be the plan to connect up the houses.
    Looks like the fiber solution wouldn't break the bank either :) Don't know if I will go the termination route, will prob try to use pre-terminated lengths of cable. Can yea easily get 100-200m multi mode fibers that are pre-terminated to SC-SC or LC-LC?

Advertisement