Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Router Question

Options
  • 12-05-2010 9:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if it is possible to have 2 routers running indepentently from the same phone line? Long story, but the crux is, I need a wired router (which is in place) to feed my desktop PC, and a seperate wireless router to feed a laptop. I understand that the wireless router can feed both, but this isn't an option at the moment. Any opinions/advice would be welcome :confused:

We're on Eircom 3MBPS at the moment.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

You could just get a device to connect into your existing Eircom router to provide a wireless access point.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭heathersonline

I know, but my problem is that the 2 people in question dont want to operate off the same router! Long story! Anyhow, I'm 99% sure that by adding a wireless connection to the existing setup, the room where the laptop will be used will be out of range. Basically just wondering if I can have the wired modem/router (sorry, not sure which is which) upstairs and add a wireless connection downstairs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I know, but my problem is that the 2 people in question dont want to operate off the same router! Long story!

If they want to be on separate networks, then no. Tell them to cop on to themselves, and stop wasting your time with stupid questions.

You can't physically have 2 modems on the one line. A wireless access point is what's needed here, if the range is an issue. Either that or run a long cable to the 2nd computer, or use something like Homeplugs (Ethernet over power).

They're happy to be on the same network, just want to be able to have one (wired) router switched off, while the wireless one is on, and vice versa. Surely this is an issue that comes up a lot if users have issues with wifi range?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Very strange request to be honest - how about yea tell them to get just get another Broadband connection for themselves ", so they both have separate connections and no issues should one decide to turn their equipment off

For wifi range, unsure whats needed by the folks on this connection.

• Advertisement

That won't work either. If the modem is turned off, then the access point (or a 2nd router) will stop working. They'd need two separate phone lines, or two different broadband types, for what they want.

There's no need to turn off a modem/router either, as long as it's properly secured, you've nothing much to worry about from that point of view. If power is their concern, then they don't use that much anyway, so it's not going to be noticeably expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

You can have a 2nd WiFi only access point and ethernet cable it back to the main router.

You can setup two separate subnets.

you can even (but a bit mad) use an ethernet Router + WiFi point with its public WAN address a private IP on 1st LAN and its own private IPs a 2nd IP range.

Actually it's not very clear what they want.

I think, for some reason, they want to be able to turn off their own router whenever they want. I can't see a valid reason for wanting that, at all, so I think these people don't really know what they want themselves, and have no idea what's possible.

OP, if you're the "tech friend" that's been charged with finding the answer for them, just tell them that what they want is not possible (or necessary). Long Ethernet cable from the router to the 2nd computer, or to an access point, is what you should tell them to use. No need to switch anything off.

So I think thats the solution, just to add an access point, which has wireless capability?

• Advertisement

That's what an "access point" is. WiFi (wireless) and ethernet, but no router. A good ethernet WAN router will let you turn off the internal DHCP and internal Router (it has no modem) and thus become a "dumb" access point that is connected by ethernet (not its wan ethernet socket, which is not used) to the ethernet switch on the Router with DSL modem.

What people call a Router is often 6 gadgets in one box:
    1) DSL modem connected internally to a
    2) Router connected internally to a
    3) 4 port Ethernet Switch connected internally to an
    4) Access Point (WiFi <-> ethernet Bridge)
    5) DNS relay server
    6) DHCP server

You can buy (4) on its own. but it's easier to buy a decent "ethernet WAN router" (2 .. 6) and turn off the Router, DNS, and DHCP. You then have 3 spare ethernet ports too.

Cheers folks, thats exactly what I'll do

Advertisement