Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Consciousness as the proof for God?!

Options
  • 12-05-2010 3:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭

Consciousness is the HUGE argument against blah blah evolution for...what?... random things getting more complicated along the way? Can't explain consciousness, can ya, darwin?!!!

Even atheists realise this. Evolution is one thing; consciousness is a whole 'nother prospect.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

Consciousness is the HUGE argument against blah blah evolution for...what?... random things getting more complicated along the way? Can't explain consciousness, can ya, darwin?!!!

Even atheists realise this. Evolution is one thing; consciousness is a whole 'nother prospect.

Eh, what now? Have you been drinkin'?

OK, I think I get it. You are self aware/conscious, therefore, god must have created us. A bit of a leap there don't you think? Would it not be better to seek a rational explanation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭vodafoneproblem

Lol. It's one of my top 2 arguments againsts Atheists. Let's call it number 1, in your case. Explain your own consciousness via Darwin's evolution, please?

OK, I think I get it. You are self aware/conscious, therefore, god must have created us. A bit of a leap there don't you think? Would it not be better to seek a rational explanation?

Where is the rational explanation from lego blocks to consciousness, dude?

What's your definition of consciousness?

How do you explain your consciousness as designed by god?

• Advertisement

Being self-aware! Same as your's is! And any lucky person to be born into existence on this Earth! Same reason I think Atheists are a passing fad! Dawkins is a book-seller! Atheism is a passing rich-person's fad!

Where is the rational explanation from lego blocks to consciousness, dude?

Lego blocks to consciousness? What the...?

Are you denying evolution? Or is it selective evolution you choose?

The human brain has been evolving for millions and millions of years through the process of natural selection to the point where it is complex enough to allow 'consciousness'. It's not a perfect explanation as it is a very subjective matter. However, it's a far better explanation than any religion can offer. At least it attempts to explain in some detail how it could happen. Where is the actual detail in the bearded man story? All you have done is display your ignorance of evolution and offered no realistic alternative.

Being self-aware! Same as your's is! And any lucky person to be born into existence on this Earth! Same reason I think Atheists are a passing fad! Dawkins is a book-seller! Atheism is a passing rich-person's fad!

A passing fad that will hopefully drag us out of the dark ages once and for all.

Lego blocks to consciousness? What the...?

Are you denying evolution? Or is it selective evolution you choose?

The human brain has been evolving for millions and millions of years through the process of natural selection to the point where it is complex enough to allow 'consciousness'. It's not a perfect explanation as it is a very subjective matter. However, it's a far better explanation than any religion can offer. At least it attempts to explain in some detail how it could happen. Where is the actual detail in the bearded man story? All you have done is display your ignorance of evolution and offered no realistic alternative.

Hmm, I could proffer the same argument back at you. You don't get to consciousness from big Anglo Lego Hotels. By annnnnnnnnnnnnny stretch of the imagination. At all, at all! (And you've demonstrated an unrealistic leap from Lego to Consciousness...)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

I can understand the basic conundrum when considering the state of us having a conscious but what we know is what we know. We have evolved, science has shown this. Religious faith and theory hasn't proved anything to compare with this, nothing - baring faith - to even come close.

I do agree though that having a conscious is mind-boggling - excuse the pun - but I'm just a firm believer in 'seeing is believing', and science has at least shown us something - through archaeology for example - that religious faith hasn't.

• Advertisement

OK I see from this, that you are a WUM. Good day to you sir.

Remember, the simplest explanation is usually the right one. Evolution and natural selection may not seem like a simple explanation to you but don't let the fact that you can't get your head around it cloud your judgement. If you think natural selection is complicated, it is obvious that the religious explanation leads to way more complex questions.

Adios...

I can understand the basic conundrum when considering the state of us having a conscious but what we know is what we know. We have evolved, science has shown this. Religious faith and theory hasn't proved anything to compare with this, nothing - baring faith - to even come close.

I do agree though that having a conscious is mind-boggling - excuse the pun - but I'm just a firm believer in 'seeing is believing', and science has at least shown us something - through archaeology for example - that religious faith hasn't.

Just like to say, I'm from a science background, and though (mainly Christian) scientists have helped humans evolve immensely, mainly with the help of Christian civilisation, we haven't proved anything at all about our conscious existence. At alllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll......... (Modern biologists are arrogant, imo, and so is Hawking. Neither can explain consciousness!)

OK I see from this, that you are a WUM. Good day to you sir.

Remember, the simplest explanation is usually the right one. Evolution and natural selection may not seem like a simple explanation to you but don't let the fact that you can't get your head around it cloud your judgement. If you think natural selection is complicated, it is obvious that the religious explanation leads to way more complex questions.

Adios...

...lol. Occam's Razor is the Dawkin's Disciples' last resort. You do realise that Occam's razor is not an excuse or an explanation for anything at all, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

We have a Creationism thread already for those who want to argue for or against evolution. Therefore I will put this one out of its misery.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement