Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accommodation Review thread?

Options
  • 12-05-2010 12:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭

Just throwing this out there,
    It'd be nice for a big thread where people can search for accommodation and other's will post about there's, I'm looking for another house next year and for a majority of 4th years who managed to find a nice house for the past years It would be good to hear about these(if they're not gonna live there again next year!) and where they're located in a view to helping out those of us who don't know the place to well.

Any body up for it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Nova_era

That place up by the WGB is unbelievable, my friend lived in it last year and it was like being in a hotel at times; he had a hugh ensuite room, and the general living area of the apartment had a balcony from which water could be poured on hot days. Savage apartments, I don't know how much they cost, but I suppose it would be around the same as other studenty places.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

Is that Vic Mills? It's a fair bit more expensive than most other apartment places I think. Really nice though alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

I was gonna' say that we have a format to follow:
    Name/Location
    Comments
    Good points
    Bad Points
    Rent PW(If known)

Anyway, My comments on my place
    Name/Location 2 Highfield Avenue
    Comments Landlord is one of the nicest people I know, Very helpful and very friendly always making sure everything is OK, House though wasn't up to much, Had everything that was needed aerial for RTE/Tv3 etc but the place was only heated by electric heating, Which cost's a lot.. We were offered an installation of Gas Heating but we turned it down.
    Rooms are big, all have desks, bathroom is nice and big too with a brilliant shower.
    Good points: Very close to campus, Daybreak, mardyke and the western gate, Spacious and only 3 living there, Open fire in sitting room
    Bad points: Electric heating, can get cold, front door sometimes didn't close properly.

Rent PW(If known) €70 for the single, €80 for the double

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Name/Location:
    Victoria Mills, Western Rd.

Comments:

Great place to live, been here a few years now - get on well with Ger at reception who's dead on. Nice flats, en suite, close to Centra, The Mardyke, Brookfield library, Tesco express etc.
    Good points:
    Close to almost everything you'd need - 7min walk to main college campus. Big rooms.

Network - share stuff myself but it's handy to have a group of people sharing tv shows, ebooks, movies, music etc.

Bad Points:
    It's not really a bad point but for the rent being paid it'd be nice if there was a double bed - sharing a single bed with the missus isn't great on the back when you're sharing for roughly 8/9 months!

Noel the manager can be a right bóllix when he wants to be - he'll pick a fight out of nowhere with you.

The internet is poor - especially when people are downloading using torrents which is alot of the time - I stay down weekends and it's fast enough but weekdays from 4/5pm onwards it's crawling.

Rent PW(If known):
    It is expensive, works out at about €150 or so per week but it's a very handy place to live, worth it imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 rachel_koeman

Name/Location Farranlea Hall, Vic Cross/Dennehy's Cross
    Comments Terrible Place. The wardens + manager are the biggest arse holes in the world. I couldnt sleep for the first 4 months cos they was constant noise. Place wasn't cleaned when we moved in. Doors can be easily kicked in ... had my ipod stolen cos someone kicked open the door and stole...manager wouldnt help with that atall. they take your deposit at the end of the year for anything you do/dont do ie. leave cleaning stuff for next ppl. The fire alarm is constantly going off yet the fire brigade isnt automatically called...no body evacuates...so dangerous. rooms are small, bathrooms are small...too expensive.
    Good points knocking down other ppls doors WAS fun when drunk lol.
    Bad Points everything!
    Rent PW(If known) expensive lol.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭mariaf24

Past UCC student here,can't say too much only that i hope no one has a landlord called Jenny,absolute wagon but charming til you sign that lease. You have been warned!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

as per last poster but a woman named nina

beware......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 poetryinmotion

Comments Terrible Place. The wardens + manager are the biggest arse holes in the world. I couldnt sleep for the first 4 months cos they was constant noise. Place wasn't cleaned when we moved in. Doors can be easily kicked in ... had my ipod stolen cos someone kicked open the door and stole...manager wouldnt help with that atall. they take your deposit at the end of the year for anything you do/dont do ie. leave cleaning stuff for next ppl. The fire alarm is constantly going off yet the fire brigade isnt automatically called...no body evacuates...so dangerous. rooms are small, bathrooms are small...too expensive.
    Bad Points everything!
    and then they have the cheek to advertise the place as being soundproof.the couches were so uncomfortable i wasnt even able to pass out on them when i came home from town absolutely polluted.its no wonder no one goes back to live there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 colourmebad

Bad Points everything!

I totally agree with you. The place isn't soundproofed at all, even thou they advertise it to be. Their website is full of crap too, there are no secutiry patrols, there are no on-site maintenance people, IT'S NOT 5 MINUTES FROM THE CAMPUS but at least 15 and that's when you walk fast, they have the cheek to call themselves "Cork’s premier student accommodation provider!" what a load of crap! there's no security access doors, you can easily kick them in! Bikes get stolen from this "secure parking" all the time, the gate breaks, Internet is super-duper slow, if you can't connect, Emma Buckley will bite your head off and tells you it's your fault!

Please, PLEASE save yourselves money and stay away from this place!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Name/Location 2 Alverno, Highfield Avenue
    Comments Nice modern house a few small problems but overall it's warm and dry. Has a dishwasher back yard with sliding doors out to it. Has a UPC point installed can get broadband/TV at student prices for the term. Landlords helpful and genuine always making sure everything's OK.
    Good points: Texts each week night before bins go out. Gas heating is great. Power/Gas usage is pretty low. Landlord's very kind about coming into the house. Pretty close to campus, town and wilton. Dishwasher!
    Bad points: Room sizes vary alot, 5 seats 6 tennants, 2 bathroom + showers, one electric one operating off heating(awkward timer to set up). Nothing major though!

Rent PW(If known) €85(6 rooms)

• Advertisement
Advertisement