Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Salvia Divinorum

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭eagle_&_bear

As i understand from what the minister has said, she is also banning derivatives and sub-derivatives of all products sold in those type of shops so, there is no need to specifically mention the name of the product, the ban is in place from the chemical elements and their stereochemistry

Hence the legislation is SO wide it'll catch 98+% of the products sold in those places

Here is the Psychoactive Substances Bill and explanatory memorandum

*this is not an act, it is still at bill stage*

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭generalmiaow

OP: There were no plants banned on Tuesday. The banned substances were cathinone derivates (usually labelled as ketones), cannabinoids (such as the JWH series) and piperazine derivates (BZP, TFMPP). There are conflicting reports about gamma butyrolactone and 1,4 butanediol. (these are EMCDDA listed and due to be banned in June anyway, but have industrial uses).

It's likely that headshops, if they still exist, will not be able to sell Salvia Divinorum or its extracts following the new legislation to come later (except without a special license etc etc), but there is no mention of criminalising possession.
    As i understand from what the minister has said, she is also banning derivatives and sub-derivatives of all products sold in those type of shops so, there is no need to specifically mention the name of the product, the ban is in place from the chemical elements and their stereochemistry

Hence the legislation is SO wide it'll catch 98+% of the products sold in those places

Are you sure? My understanding is that the derivates and sub-derivatives mentioned refer to cathinones/piperazines with different permutations of functional groups. Stereoisomers etc. are already covered in the MODA of any controlled substance. It's not possible for her to ban all products sold in those shops as there are plenty of things that aren't consumable, and plenty for which there is no rationale to control, such as bags of valerian and hops and passionflower tea bags.

In either case Salvia Divinorum is an ethnobotanical and can't have derivatives (it doesn't even set seeds :D)

Well when the legislation is passed, Im sure the possession issue will be taken care of under Section 3 of the Misuse of Drugs Act 1997 (as amended)

so I'm sure they'll get around that issue easily enough. either that or the 1977 act will be swiftly amended with something like Section 3A etc

personally, I have to say good riddance but each to their own

Advertisement