Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Southsiders I need your help!

Options
  • 11-05-2010 11:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi all,
    I'm trying to get signatories for my petition to keep Sandycove Green. The council are currently trying to demolish the wall to add new parking spaces. :(
    Please click on this link and lend your support if you feel this is a good cause. Thanks a mill!

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/savesg/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Piriz

shame you excluded northsiders from your petition...
    if i'm ever in sandycove it'd actually be nice to have somewhere to park..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 lc2803

I didn't mean to exclude Northsiders - both my parents are from the northside! I just put that because it's the Dublin County South board...

The parking the council are pushing through is at the behest of some of the local residents, it'll always be taken up by their cars and never available for visitors. The same has happened for every road where they have put pay & display in Sandycove.

There are so many ways to get to the Sandycove - there are loads of buses, darts, etc. Don't you think the visitors to the area are better served by improved public transport and investment in the amenities, instead of reducing the size of the green?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

lc2803 wrote: »
    There are so many ways to get to the Sandycove - there are loads of buses, darts, etc. Don't you think the visitors to the area are better served by improved public transport and investment in the amenities, instead of reducing the size of the green?

Loads of buses to sandycove. I can't think of any that serve Sandycove. Most of the buses serve Dun Laoghaire. The DART is the only thing I can think of that serves Sandycove.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,487 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

unknown13 wrote: »
    Loads of buses to sandycove. I can't think of any that serve Sandycove. Most of the buses serve Dun Laoghaire. The DART is the only thing I can think of that serves Sandycove.
    :rolleyes:
    7d 8 59 46n aircoach Patton directly
    7 7a 45a 111 46a 75 46x 7n indirectly, 8-10 min walk away

EDIT: signed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Can someone explain where/what they plan to do?

Is this the main green (what i would call Dun Laoghaire sea front) or the smaller one where the old changing rooms are?

• Advertisement

Can someone explain where/what they plan to do?

Is this the main green (what i would call Dun Laoghaire sea front) or the smaller one where the old changing rooms are?

to me it sounds like "Bugrock" otherwise known as the sea front from the baths down to Sandycove beach.

There is already a carpark there opposite Teddy's and it where dozens of cars block the footpath every sunny weekend :mad: Thankfully the traffic wardens are usually pretty on the ball ticketing them all.

I'm not sure i want to object to this. There is clearly a need for more parking along the front and i would be in favour of extending the car park there by 100m or so, it's not as though there are constantly thousands of people picnicking on the green there.

i think we also need some sort of anti tank weapon that could be used on the people who insist on driving along there at 3 miles an hour so they can look at the sea.

people only park there because they are too lazy to park slightly further away. there are numerous carparks and suitable streets in the are

There was a plan to put an underground in there of much larger proportions as part of the area redevelopment. Obviously the recession has put paid to this.

The residents there all knew of the lack of parking before they moved in and it has never been an issue before, why do they suddenly decide they need more spaces in a green area?

I agree, I have no sympathy for the residents at all, this comes down to planning and buying a house with no parking.

I disagree about the parking though, it does get very busy, especially on a hot Sunday when the market is on.

No matter what they do, some idiots will still think it is ok to park right outside Teddies though, as long as they have their hazard lights on of course.

Advertisement