Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Help - Passat or A4

Options
  • 11-05-2010 11:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭

Guys, I have looked at an Audi A4 and Passat Highline both 2006 diesel models with 70,000 miles.

Prices are not the issue.

The passat has a gorgeous interior, half leather seats, arm rest, wooden finish 1.9 105hbp.

The A4 is a 2.0 TDI 140bp 6 speed beauty but not as nice an interior on the inside and with no arm rest.

I'm really in a quandry and dont know what to do. Stick with the Passat and comfort or move up to the A4 with the power and looks?

Any comments will all help towards me making up my mind.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,516 ✭✭✭jaffa20

There are probably plently of many A4's out there with just as nice an interior if you look around...leather seats etc. Maybe even look into the uk or northern ireland. It's personal choice at the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭faigs

Personally I think that model Passat is under powered. You'll probably have more driving pleasure from the A4, but yes, you should look further afield for a higher spec A4.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

If it's any help, I find armrests to be a bit useless in a manual.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Anan1 wrote: »
    If it's any help, I find armrests to be a bit useless in a manual.

That all depends on the type of driving you do though. If it's around town and your shifting gear every 10 seconds, I'd agree that the armrest is useless (especially in that model A4 where it gets in the way of the handbrake).

If, like me though, you are doing 50km's in one go without moving out of 5th gear, the armrest is a must. If I end up in a Focus LX without the armrest, I end up using the top of my water bottle as a substitute armrest!

OP - it all depends on what you are looking for from the car. The engine in the Audi is much better than the one in the Passat. It's quicker to accelerate and will be much safer when overtaking, but the standard spec on the Audi's is poor.

If you aren't power mad and would prefer a comfortable cruiser with a few gadgets then the Passat is the one to go for. The engine has enough power to get the car around and the sports, leather / alcantara seats in the Passat Highline are really comfortable - heated too if memory serves me correctly.

If it's any use, the armrest in the A4 can be retrofitted fairly easily. It's the same unit that's in the A3 / Leon / Octavia so you'd just need to find a crashed one in a scrapyard and buy all the bits.

I'd take the A4 for the extra power from the 2 of them, but I'd miss the steering wheel controls in both. I'd actually try to find a decent Accord 2.2 Exec and fork out the extra €200 a year road tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭morrga

R.O.R thanks a million for your thoughts. Alot of what you say is what I'm thinking.

I usually only use the car at weekends and thats for trips to Wexford. The spec of the A4 does disappoint me and yes the Passat does have heated seats and lovely half leather seats.

The comfort is what I prefer rather than power yet the A4 is the real looker!

• Advertisement
Advertisement