Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vans for your plant business?

Options
  • 11-05-2010 11:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭

:)Being a total Plant and Van head, there appears to be little discussion of Vans and things Vanny. I have 2, a 01 Transit and a 08 Iveco. As part of my small construction business, they are as indispensable as my diggers and rollers etc. So, any of you got any experiences of the really good, hardy Van, and equally, the really bad, to be avoided van? For me, its a question of being able to take the hacking day in and day out? What do yous like and dislike?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

I have a 413 Sprinter. Its a 02 and only had 1 owner from new. The back looks like it was never used as it used to be used as a wholesale butchers suppliers van

Don't have it too long but have been around them for years. Recently put a 4 cylinder ford engine and blower off a cement bulker in the back of it along with the tool boxes, jacks oxy/actly plant and various other stuff and it took it in its stride.

For me the vans to avoid would be

older transits, they rot badly.
    Vivaro/primstar/trafic. They may be ok for pottering around in but they are just not able for the tough going.
    Fiat Ducato. Yuck.

I wouldn't be a major fan of the 01-> Transit either but the do seem to be a reasonable workhorse. The newest model Transit is supposed to give an awful lot of bother esp in the EGR department.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭dunsandin

Whats the general opinion on the 01 2.0td transit - not had it long, and Ive heard bad things. But then everyone told me Iveco were sh1te and mines been superb. And, are Vitos really as crap as I hear? Ive always like the look, but been wary. Do like the sprinters though-damn fast van.

dunsandin wrote: »
    Whats the general opinion on the 01 2.0td transit - not had it long, and Ive heard bad things. But then everyone told me Iveco were sh1te and mines been superb. And, are Vitos really as crap as I hear? Ive always like the look, but been wary. Do like the sprinters though-damn fast van.

Fords biggets problem IMO is rust. If it is not a swimmer that is a good start. If the rear cross members are looking anyways tatty, sandblast it and get it totally body schultzed. It is what I would do.

They also have a habit of eating starters.

Vito. New RWD shape or old FWD? Actually it doesn't matter, I would have neither!

The daily was always a good enough van. A little soft in the plastics, door handles and the likes but the engines were bullet proof.

The older ones had front torsion bar suspension and the bushes were a BASTARD to do.

The newer shape ones had a small fuel pump on the LHS chassis that was prone to failure. Not sure how much they are but I would be inclined to carry one if it is not too expensive.

I found on my iveco, the windows are nuts- they have a mind of their own. I tire of the "Hiace are king" gig, cos ive had a few, and some were good, and some wern't. My mates a mechanic, and i was talking to him this eve, and, as per usual, he had a hiace on the lift. Fuel pump gone.
    I used to use L400's and they were one tough van, unbeatable, but too small now.

They all have their weak points, some are just weaker than others!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭hiluxman

what about a vw transporter? the 2.5 5 cylinder one, nice van to drive and quick too

Never had a transporter,so cant greatly comment. Lads I work with use em, one pal bought a 2009, and his gearbox went in the first week,others rave about em. Bit small though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 twofish

We have always used Toyota Hiace, and have to say they are bulletproof, our oldest one is 1998 and pulls a 12 ft trailer most days, passed Doe last week without needing any more than an oil and filter service. Starts and stops every time, the only downside is their fuel comsumption but as this is the only downside we can live with it.

Hiaces are good, i've had a good few, from 94 up to 01, but they are too small, and once you hit that point, what the hell do you buy?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

Been put off Trafics forever by my father's campervan. Admittedly it's a 97 but I bet the newer ones aren't much better. On it's 4th gearbox (getting good at changing them, they have a weak mainshaft :rolleyes:), and putting new brake discs on involves stripping and rebuilding the hubs. Getting parts is now difficult, repairs after a recent prang involved buying a scrap van off a farmer! If it wasn't for it being a camper it would have long since joined the rest of them on the scrapheap.

Oh yea, the clutch release pulls, not pushes, found that out first box swap we did. Last job was to connect the cable, found the lever wouldn't turn. The fork goes behind the built in release bearing, box had to come out again.
    And it's got a water cooled diff just so you get wet working under it :mad:

• Advertisement

Despite being a badge holding VW Fanboi I would not be too gone on them.

IMO any large van should be RWD. Trying to put the power out the front wheels and towing a load just doesn't work. Also, they are cramped under the bonnet and a bastard to work on.

Saying that, I have tested quite a few of the 4 motion ones and jesus they go like stink! Anyone know if they are any good in a field?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭kincaid

the newer model trafic late 2006 2.0 115bhp version is not a bad van ...improved the engine and gearbox doesn;t seem to be as troublesome as the older 1.9 one - brilliant on diesel and like a car to drive-comfortwise:)

anyone know much on the iveco daily vans,
    im looking to buy one, this ones 2002 35s11
    have these the same engine as the transit?
    i know they are much cheaper but are they as good as the transit?

kincaid wrote: »
    anyone know much on the iveco daily vans,
    im looking to buy one, this ones 2002 35s11
    have these the same engine as the transit?
    i know they are much cheaper but are they as good as the transit?

Better than a transit in the toughness department. I've an 08 35/12 and its been good, Iveco engines are excellent, but the panel/door fit and electrics are scatty. Happy with mine, and its had a hard life so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Interesting reading your opinions on The Daily Slidey. I have 4 06's on fleet, and they are constantly in BOD getting work done.

- Starters
    - Door handles
    - New engine in 1
    - Suspension
    - Wiring
    - Steering rack
    - Headlamps

And a few more I can think of right now.

These vans are used in around the city centre in Dublin, and carry a fair weight. Even so, based on my experience of them, I wouldnt rate them too highly. I think a Transit T350 EF would do the job much better. Or a Sprinter.

Well most of my experience would be on the older model daily. Think they finished in 02 I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

I think a Transit T350 EF would do the job much better. Or a Sprinter.

I like the transits too, up to 06 (mk6?) Had a 02 sprinter too, injectors packed up. big bucks to fix

What's the EF?

Extended flute. Its the dogs whatsits.

Advertisement