Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tadpoles in a Puddle

Options
  • 11-05-2010 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

Yesterday I saw thousands of tadpoles in a puddle on a gravel road in a forest. See the attached pictures. It doesnt look like its a large enough piece of water for them to develope in. Im worried they wont survive where they are, but Im not an expert on these matters. Should I move them to a nearby stream or pond, or should I leave them as they are?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭murrayp4

It would be a miracle for them to survive if left there....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

It doesn't look very good right enough - I wonder if there was more water and with the dry spell it has evaporated/leaked away. I would say by the time you go back they will be bleedin demised like John Cleese's parrot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

I've seen a lot of that out and about up here. Large potholes filled with water in old roads/track and plenty of 'poles in them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

If they don't survive they will become food for another.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

This is a regular occurance. It happens every year. They won't be viable but there's no need to do anything. This is Nature. There will be plenty more elsewhere that will survive. As Doctor Evil says they will feed something else.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

If anyone had any ideas, it is illegal to take frog spawn from the wild in Ireland without a permit from the wildlife service department.

If anyone had any ideas, it is illegal to take frog spawn from the wild in Ireland without a permit from the wildlife service department.

Just to be clear on this. The question related to Frog Spawn in a puddle (a regular event) that would not be viable. The legislation (which does allow schools to collect Frog Spawn) is a conservation measure and IF it were worth taking frog spawn from a puddle it would only be for conservation purposes. The legislation is Europe wide, by the way, as the population losses are actually across Europe while Ireland has no such problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

A bunch of tadpoles in a puddle is not frog spawn, so does the legislation cover tadpoles?

I don't have the wording to hand, as I'm sitting beside a marsh right now, but the legislation refers to Frogs and covers all stages of their lifecycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Move them to kinder surroundings... Please....

• Advertisement

Graces7 wrote: »
    Move them to kinder surroundings... Please....

No. As already stated, there is no need. Leave Nature alone for goodness sake!

Advertisement