Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'I love you' in Irish

Options
  • 11-05-2010 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭

Friends of mine from Poland want to put this on their wedding rings.
    'taim i' ngra leat' (should have fadas I know) just doesn't really seem right. My sister suggested 'tá grá orm duit'. I never heard this before, but it seems to sound nicer. Are there any other suggestions?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

cailinoBAC wrote: »
    'taim i' ngra leat'
    Thanks.

That means "i am in love with you"

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭jwcurtin

cailinoBAC wrote: »
    Friends of mine from Poland want to put this on their wedding rings.
    'taim i' ngra leat' (should have fadas I know) just doesn't really seem right. My sister suggested 'tá grá orm duit'. I never heard this before, but it seems to sound nicer. Are there any other suggestions?
    Thanks.

Tá Grá Agam Duit

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

jwcurtin wrote: »
    Tá Grá Agam Duit

That's probably as close as you will get. The thing is, there is no literal translation of "i love you".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭cailinoBAC

yeah, I know, that's the thing. What about the one on Devore's link "Mo ghrá thú"?
    I mean, I don't think they'd be looking for an exact translation, just something that has the same meaning, but sounds nice too.
    Thanks for your help! Didn't expect replies so soon.

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

If I were them, I would have one engraved with "anam" and the other with "chroí".

Anam is a strange word in Irish, it pretty much translates to "soul" but not in a particularly religious way. It means "my spirit, my life energy" and chroí means heart, both literal and physical.
    Both of these words have strong meanings in Irish and are often used in expressions of love, usually combined as in "mo anam, mo chroi!" (my heart and soul)... splitting them onto two rings would lend to the idea of two halves which belong together.

Here are a few more examples specifically of rings but they will give you ideas...
    http://www.irishnation.com/irishweddingrings.htm

DeV.

DeVore wrote: »

Anam is a strange word in Irish, it pretty much translates to "soul" but not in a particularly religious way. It means "my spirit, my life energy" and chroí means heart, both literal and physical.

DeV.

Ooooooh! You are so romantic DeV.

Id fancy you if i had the ghey.

I'm a big softy, what can I say? (dont tell anyone or my online rep is ruined...ruined). :p

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭PandyAndy

Tá ocras orm duit - I am hungry for you :cool:. I was never any good at Irish. If the couple have a sense a humour then tell them to use that :D

DeVore wrote: »
    I'm a big softy, what can I say? (dont tell anyone or my online rep is ruined...ruined). :p

DeV.

No worries.

Now get yourself into AH and post a few pics of you with your pitbulls and tattooed head.. :D

• Advertisement

1241132541197.jpg

Grrrrr.....

Ok, that went off topic at the speed of sound :)

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

'Is grá liom thú' is how it's said. "Táim i ngrá leat" means "I'm in love with you" ...

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Richard Cranium

I might be a bit late with this reply, but I'm fairly certain the phrase they would be looking for is
    "Is tú mo ghrá."

(Literally "You are my love".)

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Andrew Flexing

Caoimhín wrote: »
    Ooooooh! You are so romantic DeV.

Id fancy you if i had the ghey.

Not many posts make me laugh out loud...haha....this one did though!!! very funny!

my URBAN EXPLORATION YouTube channel: https://www.facebook.com/ASMRurbanexploration/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

I'll echo "Is grá liom tú". Anything else sounds stilted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Tá grá agam duit
    Is grá liom thú

These two, I would say are the most common

is Gráim thú getting much use as a newer construction??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭yourmother

What about "Is thu mo leannan" - You're my otherhalf

Computer doesn't do fadas!

ás fár ás Í knów théy dó!

(hold down the mysterious Alt-GR button and press the vowel. If you tell me you use a mac I'm going to cry.)

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

yourmother wrote: »
    What about "Is thu mo leannan" - You're my otherhalf
    That sounds scientific; if somebody told me that, I wouldn't quite know how to respond.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Crosáidí wrote: »
    Tá grá agam duit
    Is grá liom thú

These two, I would say are the most common

is Gráim thú getting much use as a newer construction??

I've heard it before but I much prefer "Tá grá agam duit" or "Is grá liom thú" as they are more common and natural.

• Advertisement

"Graim" would seem to imply that Gra is a verb... no?? (I know its a know but I didnt think you could "Gra" someone :) )

"Taim" is a contraction of "Tá mé" right?

"Graim" would be a contraction of "Gra me" which seems wrong...

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Gráigh would be the verb and 1 syllable verbs ending in "igh" are usually 1st declension verbs

Gráim no Gránn mé, though I do prefer "Tá grá agam duit"
    In Gáidhlig they say "tha gràdh agam ort"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Thinfin

Tá tú i mo chroí - you are in my heart - is a nice way of saying it - the Donegal way.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭An gal gréine

Have'nt come across it put like that, thinfin.
    "Tá mo chroí istigh ionat", would do the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 lasairchoille

Is mór liom thú = I love you

Is mór agam thú means roughly the same thing but is aimed at the situation where the is requited.

...you can finish it off with a cherry on top by saying
    "Is mór liom thú a thaisce"
    if you wish to call the person you're little treasure...

bb7b
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭Woow_Aqualung

"Is aoibhinn liom tú" is what I say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 lasairchoille

That wouldn't mean love if someone said it to me, but I'm not going to start being all preachy!

So thas cool! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Dev - fadas on a mac is just the letter + alt.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 39 breda206

"Grá mo chroí thú"

is what I would say. It's probably too late now. It means "I love you" but can be literally translated as "you are the love of my heart", my Mamó used to say it to me and she really meant it. That's how it's said in Conamara if anyone's interested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

is aoibheann liom thu?

goddamn fadas aren't working on this laptop. regardless that's how i remember it being said in the gaeltacht i went to yesteryear.

Advertisement