Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

gearbox problem 2008 ford focus

Options
  • 11-05-2010 7:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

i have a 2008 ford focus 1.6 zetec, bought from a main ford dealer .Last Thursday on my way to work the car locked me out of 3,4,5 and reverse gears.
    i brought the car back to where i bought it and they tell me that something is stuck in the gearbox?????
    they then told me that it is 36 days out of warrentee but that the main ford people will only cover 50% of the cost????

is this common practice ??
    is 50% liable not admitting a manufacture fault??

any help or advise would be great full

maria:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

I have to say , if a dealer told me that a 2 year old car is out of warranty with a faulty gearbox then there would be a very very large shouting match going off in the service area.

Unless we're not getting the full story here i.e the car has been modified a lot or there's 200,000km up already then i'd be kicking off a bit. How can you be 50% to blame. Its either their fault or its not. Dont except it IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 mariadel138

thanks, thats what i was thinking.

as iv no modifications done , not big millage nothing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Yet another reason to buy in the UK folks*. 2 years out a gearbox is laughable.

* I need to elaborate on this really. UK 3 year warranty would have you covered, ours does not and it is an insult to the consumer. Why, if you live in the North would you get a new gearbox, but if you live 100 meters across the border you don't?

Tell these numpties that a gearbox failure after two years in unexceptable and you expect them or Ford Ireland (not you anyway) to cover the entire cost of the repair and to give you a replacement car while the work is being done, tell them you are not negotiating, you are insisting that the work is carried out at no expense to you. Root cause is the gearbox is faulty, not your problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭1867IE

Hi,

I work in a main dealer, not Ford might I add or I would gladly help OP!

It would be common place for a manufacturer to make a goodwill gesture or contribution toward the repair on a sliding scale once the car goes outside of warranty.

Usually this depends on age, mileage, service history etc. There is no obligation to go to a dealer for servicing but if you go to an independent mechanic it will usually mean they will make a smaller contribution. I know a 'box isn't a service item but the manufacturer will look at everything and say 'ok the customer has/hasn't spent money with a dealer so why should/shouldn't we help'

I don't think liability is an issue here as it is technically out of warranty.

OP has given no indication of mileage, is it high?

• Advertisement

1867IE wrote: »

I don't think liability is an issue here as it is technically out of warranty.

OP has given no indication of mileage, is it high?

If the mileage is anywhere not intergalactic the gearbox was not fit for purpose, they are not expected top fail after two years and and 36 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭1867IE

OP what is the actual diagnosis?

When you say "something stuck in the gearbox" can you elaborate?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

I don't remember hearing of a gearbox failure in a Focus and we have well in excess of 100 on our fleet - majority of which would be diesel.

Unsure if the op's is Petrol, and whether the box is different between Petrol / Diesel.

It could be a "Monday Morning" gearbox, or it could have been wrenched here there and everywhere by a driver - but even so, I'd expect more than 50% parts goodwill from Ford after just over 2 years.

If it was a Renault Trafic where the gearbox turns to Marshmallow after 120,000km it would be a different story.........................

Advertisement