Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many days can you miss and still sit the leaving cert?

Options
  • 11-05-2010 5:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

So how many days can you actually miss and still sit the leaving cert. I've only heard today that its actually possible to disallow students sit the exam for missing over a certain amount of days.

Yeah, I've missed maybe 30 - 40 - 50ish days?

I just wanna know if I'm safe to miss a few more? ;P

Aw shucks, us lazy kids.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Finical

Well I'm not sure but I'm a repeat and I've missed a hell of a lot of days, but nobody is going to be stopping me from sitting the exams thats for sure. :pac:

In all honesty I don't think you would get disallowed to sit the exams afterall they are for your sake not for anyone elses.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,171 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You can sit a Leaving Cert. without ever attending a day of school, but you need to be entered with the SEC.

Did you sign up to do the exams or was that on one of the days you didn't bother to go in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭miss5

As far as I know your school cannot disallow you sitting the examinations due
    to being absent.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭--SmItHy--

It's a state exam? can the school do that? :S

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,171 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The school can't stop you sitting the exam if you are entered for it, but the building is their building (and private property) and IF they wanted to, they could insist you sat it somewhere else. The SEC would assign you another centre.

From the school's point of view, it wouldn't be worth the bother refusing you entry to sit the exams, but every year this issue comes up and yes, they are within their rights if they choose not to allow you in their building. They would be unlikely to do this for an attendance issue (unless after such absence you are no longer on their books).

Almost every year there is a school somewhere in the country where some student takes a ludicrous childish stance on not wearing uniform for exams when the school policy is that all school candidates should wear uniform. In such a case the school can insist on a particular dress code if they want to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭ldxo15wus6fpgm

Lad in our school dropped out in September and came back 2 weeks ago. They can't stop you from sitting the exam, but they can make you sit it somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

You cannot be stopped doing it but can be asked to do it elsewhere if that is written into the school policy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Paddi Jones

Right cheers. Glad to hear.

Advertisement