Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Help needed to buy an Audi

Options
  • 11-05-2010 5:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭

Hi Everyone

I need help. I have been on here before looking for advice on buying a car but things have moved on and I changed my mind on the car we want. I have sold the wifes car and its being collected on Saturday.
    I need to buy a replacement as soon as possible. I want to go for either an A5 or A4 (preferably an A5) and have a limit of €30K. I want no older than 2008.
    I would prefer diesel but I dont think I have enough for a diesel A5 - there seems to be some 2.0 diesel A5's about but most seem to be 2.7 diesels and they seem to be pricey.

Can anyone give me their opinions on the A5 an the A4 - which versions to go for, ones to avoid etc and the price I should get each for and the likely residual price performance of both.

Thanks in advance for any advice - or indeed a steer on which garage to go to or avoid (I'm in the greater Dublin area)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,293 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I have an A5. 2008 1.8Tfsi.
    If you are any kind of an aggresive driver, do not but a front drive A5. Mine is terrible & Ive driven a number of them (1.8)& they are pretty much the same. A5oc.com also now has many reports of poor front drive behaviour (although no one seemed to agree with me there at first).
    IMO, you should be looking at 3.0 tdi quattro. This has the 4 wheel drive that the car was designed around & also came with servo steering as standard. both absolute requirements. Also with a used A5, Ask if revised (updated) control arms have been fitted. Many in uk have had them to help with various steering/stability problems. I am currently fighting with dealer over this update although he says its gone to the factory for decision. Probably bluffing.
    The 2.7 diesels are front drive too but may be alittle better that the lighter engined 1.8T.
    The 2.0 diesels are from 2009 on I think.

The A4 is same platform but you can get away with smaller wheels on A4 which masks some of the poor behaviour.

there was an black 08 3.0 diesel on carzone for 33k private. 30k cash would be hard to refuse Id say.
    you will get any number of 08 petrol A5s for under 30k

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shane732

If you had enough time it'd be worth looking into buying one from the north, specially as you're a cash buyer.

If you are going to be driving it hard then Mickdw is right - there's no point in buying a 1.8 you could get something a lot better for your money.

Dropping to an 07 would give you a much better option. 08 and your kind of limited to SE models.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭glic71rods46t0

Shane732 wrote: »
    If you had enough time it'd be worth looking into buying one from the north, specially as you're a cash buyer.

If you are going to be driving it hard then Mickdw is right - there's no point in buying a 1.8 you could get something a lot better for your money.

Dropping to an 07 would give you a much better option. 08 and your kind of limited to SE models.
    Thanks for the replies so far

Thing is, I will need one by next week or else we will have to survive on 1 car for a while which wont be easy! ( I can only buy at w/e as I am too busy during the week)
    What is the main difference between SE and other specs? (I know my lack of knowledge must seem a bit suspect, but the sale of the wifes existing steed came as a surprise and I dont have my home work done and I am currently very busy at work - so I really appreciate you guys helping me out)
    Any recommendation on garages - was thinking of going to North Dublin Audi on Saturday - any opinions?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,293 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

In A5, I dont think there is any value to be had in UK. Certainly my car is now cheaper here that uk when vrt is added. Diesels might be closer to the mark but still no benefit as far as I see.
    The S Line gets more agressive front & rear bumpers & a little side skirt. Possibly lowered too. Dont know what the inside spec is.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Geoff845

Thanks for the replies so far

Thing is, I will need one by next week or else we will have to survive on 1 car for a while which wont be easy! ( I can only buy at w/e as I am too busy during the week)
    What is the main difference between SE and other specs? (I know my lack of knowledge must seem a bit suspect, but the sale of the wifes existing steed came as a surprise and I dont have my home work done and I am currently very busy at work - so I really appreciate you guys helping me out)
    Any recommendation on garages - was thinking of going to North Dublin Audi on Saturday - any opinions?

Audi North Dublin (they're very nice) have a 2 08 A5's (one 1.8 TFSi and a 3.0tdi Quattro) just landed, give me a shout if you want to see them, I have a bit of influence on the price...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Geoff845 wrote: »
    Audi North Dublin (they're very nice) have a 2 08 A5's (one 1.8 TFSi and a 3.0tdi Quattro) just landed, give me a shout if you want to see them, I have a bit of influence on the price...

The trotting dog eh?

I'd agree with Mickdw - I think there are probably better cars out there for your money...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

*whistles*

<SNIP>

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

smcgiff wrote: »
    *whistles*

<SNIP>

Talk about blatant pimping. You could at least have been tactful about it and suggested an alfa first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Talk about blatant pimping. You could at least have been tactful about it and suggested an alfa first.

Honestly didn't think I was doing anything wrong. Carry on...

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭morrga

JJReillycars.com has a nice range of imported Audis for reasonable prices.

I am currently looking to buy an Audi from him. He seems tough but fair when it comes to bargaining but prices are reasonable.

On a side note, can someone help. There is no arm rest in this A4 but he tells me I could pick one up and put it in. Anyone any ideas where I could possibly pick one up?

• Advertisement
Advertisement