Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Child Neglect

Options
  • 11-05-2010 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

My one year old son is being neglected at present, his mother & i are seperated and my son has spina bifida, his mother is unstable & has neglected him regarding his diet and missing vital neuro appointments that are crucial to his development. I have contacted social services and am getting nowhere. Please HELP??? I'm desperate.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭hollis12

Well as you now spina bifida requires constant care, have you proof of this or is it a hunch?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Had the child a case worker or a local health nurse assgined who can call in and check?
    Can you call in and make sure your child is getting what they need?
    Have you looked at your own legal options and situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Rmmb

Hi yes i have proof that she is not caring for him properly as the hospital has confirmed several missed appointments. I have been on to social workers but feel i am getting no where and my son is left allegedly in the care of many different minders. He has casts on his legs and weighs over 2stone and has to be held in a special position when lifting him up. I am gravely concerned for his welfare. I am meeting a solicitor tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Elle Collins

I would be discussing full-time custody with my solicitor if I knew my child was being neglected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Rmmb wrote: »
    My one year old son is being neglected at present, his mother & i are seperated and my son has spina bifida, his mother is unstable & has neglected him regarding his diet and missing vital neuro appointments that are crucial to his development. I have contacted social services and am getting nowhere. Please HELP??? I'm desperate.

Have you spoken to the mother to see if she needs any help with these appointments? offer to take your son yourself?. Has she come to terms with his disability? Is she suffering from post natal depression?

The reasons I mention these things is I'm a single mother of a disabled child and its very very tough. Perhaps she is not coping very well and needs help instead of you on her case.

Your child should have a social worker that is assigned to all of you. If they dont have concerns then maybe they are happy with your sons care or what exactly are they saying to you? Social workers will act if they think the child is being neglected.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

helpthem wrote: »
    Have you spoken to the mother to see if she needs any help with these appointments? offer to take your son yourself?. Has she come to terms with his disability? Is she suffering from post natal depression?

The reasons I mention these things is I'm a single mother of a disabled child and its very very tough. Perhaps she is not coping very well and needs help instead of you on her case.

Look, that's rubbish, and it's typical of the attitude that women can't be wrong. He's already said she;s "unstable" and would love to take his son himself but can't

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

goose2005 wrote: »
    Look, that's rubbish, and it's typical of the attitude that women can't be wrong. He's already said she;s "unstable" and would love to take his son himself but can't

Excuse me but what would u know about raising a child with special needs and parenting alone?

Honestly walk a day in the life of a mother of a disabled child and you would have some clue. How dare you just call my opinion rubbish when I am speaking from experience.

The OP has stated the child is a year old so the poor mother is probably still in shock at having a disabled child and at the fact she is parenting alone. The OP has also stated the social workers are doing nothing. Well maybe just maybe because nothing needs to be done. It is a social workers job to step in and look after the wefare of the child.

I have simply said that maybe the mother of the child is finding things difficult and he should try to talk to her to see how he can help instead of getting on her case. If the child is not attending appointments, can he not bring him?

And why cant he take his son?

Exactly where in my post did I mention the mother cant be wrong? Believe me if the mother is as the OP has made out, the child would have been removed from her care.

If he goes before a judge and calls his ex mentally unstable without the medical proof, well he will be put in his place fairly quickly

If the child has hospital appointments then the OP should also be attending them, instead of checking up on his ex partner

Are these minders that are minding the child respite care workers? As imagine carrying around a 2 stone child 24/7 with nobody to help. Again I am speaking from experience.

The OP needs to get guardianship, Get notification of the appointments and get off his arse and start attending them and if needed take the child to them himself.

Advertisement