Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Walnut tree

Options
  • 11-05-2010 5:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭

I have planted a potted walnut tree and after about a week i noticed that some of the leaves had gone a jet black colour and were very dry almost like burnt toast, can any tell me what might have caused this, the only thing i can come up with is that the tree was exposed to the north/easterly winds of the last week could this be the cause.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭heno55

there must be some one on who knowes whats going on

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mountainy man

hi heno55

sounds like windburn to me also could be transplant shock give it a good regular drink till it settles in , should be ok , also read somewhere that walnuts can kill off things planted around and underneath ,some kind of defense mechanism.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muckety

I also think windburn - mine hasn't gone into leaf yet and is usually the last tree to do so! Maybe yours was too early because its in a pot or was in a sheltered place before planting.

The thing about walnut killng around them is to do with their leaf being toxic, they should be raked up and disposed of in autumn, rather than leaving them sit on the grass / ground.

Advertisement