Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mazda 6 Opinions

Options
  • 11-05-2010 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭

Hi all hopefully trading up in the coming months from a 01 petrol 1.6 passat and the mazda 6 has caught my eye. Just wondering what peoples opinions are. Spending about 18 or 19k. Im assuming ill get nothing for my own,has just over 100k on it and a lot of people are 100k+ phobic.preferably something reliable and relatively cheap to service.

Im open to any suggestions cars/jeeps/suvs. Theres usually only myself in the car so no need loadsa space really. Not one for the Octavia before that brigade gets in and im looking for a change from a VW. Mileage is about average 10-15k a year. Thanks.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Never heard of a Maxda.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,543 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Interior is pretty cheap if that matter to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I think unless you get a Sport model they look a bit naff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

That budget will get you a new shape one. Best handling car in its class, good spec too. Go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Berty wrote: »
    I think unless you get a Sport model they look a bit naff.

+1

This is keenly priced but the colour is not to everyone's taste:

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=201012197312306

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

bazz26 wrote: »
    +1

This is keenly priced but the colour is not to everyone's taste:

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=201012197312306

No, I always liked that colour. It's like pearlescent because the colour changes in the light.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭d2ww

fwiw, my wife has the older 1.8 petrol hatchback model.
    points are
    the boot is huge.
    gear change not like ford's at all, very clunky.
    fan speed at 1 equals very stuffy car.
    a lot of engine noise above 70mph.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

I've got the older model. Have it about a year and a half now and haven't had any trouble with it yet. It's comfortable, handles very well and looks nice. The new model looks nice too and if the old model is anything to go by a very good car.

And if you're interested, I saw an 07 MPS in your price range on carzone. I'd love one of them if I could afford it.

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Mazda/Mazda6/MPS-2.3L/201017197784580/advert?channel=CARS

By the way, I'm always typing in Maxda on the keyboard too.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭selfbuildkk

Thanks for all the replies.Have the say I prefer the newer model, any preference to diesel over petrol? Never had a Mazda before so its completely new to me.Anyone ideas on how expensive parts are for these?

I have limited experience with having to get new parts but they tend to be very reliable cars. When I was asking around before I got a one I was told by a few people that parts are no cheaper or more expensive than your average Honda/Toyota/Ford but that as long as you look after it, service it regularly and all, for the most part you won't really find yourself needing new parts.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the replies.Have the say I prefer the newer model, any preference to diesel over petrol? Never had a Mazda before so its completely new to me.Anyone ideas on how expensive parts are for these?

Stay away from the 2.0 litre diesel in both the old and new model 6 as it was a disaster for reliability. The newer 2.2 litre diesel is fine so far but they only came out in 2009 and may not be within budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,404 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Is the 2.0 diesel still the same unit?

Afaik the 2.0 litre diesel was carried over from the old model, it suffers from DPF issues along with injector problems. It was replaced last year by the 2.2 litre diesel with 3 different versions, 126bhp, 163bhp and 182bhp. I don't think we get the 182bhp version.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭selfbuildkk

Sound advice thanks very much for all the replies,is the 1.8 petrol powerful enough for the size? the one thing with the passat is its very underpowered. Any cars that I may be missing out on?I was thinking 3 series but heard expensive enough to service.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

I would spend my own money on a petrol mazda 6 only.

I would'nt touch a daysul one tho'. Sh!te engine.

Sound advice thanks very much for all the replies,is the 1.8 petrol powerful enough for the size? the one thing with the passat is its very underpowered. Any cars that I may be missing out on?I was thinking 3 series but heard expensive enough to service.

My Mazda's a 1.8L and it's got plenty of power although I know the newer version is a bit bigger. Also, the Passat has a 1.6L model so maybe it's that model that's underpowered.

Advertisement