Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Landrover Freelander Older Model

Options
  • 11-05-2010 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

Anyone drive one?

Should I avoid or are they ok?

I do very little mileage so cost of running not of huge importance

Thanks

Comments

If you get an L series diesel one for tiny money it's worth a punt, I'd avoid a 1.8K one even if it was for a tiny tiny money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Save yourself the time and hassle, put your money in a bucket and set fire to it. They can be dire money pits irrespective of mileage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭mailforkev

Have driven both.

Don't go near the petrol one as the head gasket goes on them all (personal experience included).

Diesel much better but very agricultural feeling when compared to a more modern car/SUV. Interior would be quite low rent these days too.

We had two for 2/3 years each a few years back and not a single problem apart from the K-series spilling its guts out.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭balcan

Drove a TD one a few years back,Engine vibrated below 2000 Revs and hit the limiter @ 3500 Revs,Left 1500 Revs you could drive the thing,Terrible car

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

Owned a 2002 2.0d ES for a year. Found it reliable but bought it new so only put about 10k on it. It wasn't that comfortable on a long run but ok around town. Sold it as I needed something bigger and more comfortable.

What spooked me a couple of years after I sold was when Top Gear crash tested one. There was considerable damage to the passenger compartment. It only as a 2 star NCAP rating IIRC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭TheQueen

Right so back to the drawing board I suppose......

balcan wrote: »
    Drove a TD one a few years back,Engine vibrated below 2000 Revs and hit the limiter @ 3500 Revs,Left 1500 Revs you could drive the thing,Terrible car

TD4 or L series do you know ?

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Redderneck

Was given the 1.8 petrol one as a company motor when abroad a few years ago. Quite chuffed as it was a serious step up from the Lada Niva I'd had before.

After a week, I wanted the Niva back.

Not an option & I spent the worst 8 months of my driving life behind the wheel of the worst vehicle I've ever had the pleasure of driving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭gigabit

I have a 2000 model for sale no nct no tax, it still runs,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Pique

gigabit wrote: »

Swap for a half eaten Twix and a cold cuppa tae ?

• Advertisement

RoverJames wrote: »
    TD4 or L series do you know ?
    It was a 00 reg so guessing L series engine.Didn't the TD4 have a BMW motor.Only drove it about 20 miles but was glad to get out of it.

Must have had MAF problems if it wouldn't rev beyond 3500rpm, in fact the MAF may well have been unplugged. L series engine rev quite freely to well over 4000revs when healthy.

Must have had MAF problems if it wouldn't rev beyond 3500rpm, in fact the MAF may well have been unplugged. L series engine rev quite freely to well over 4000revs when healthy.

Deffo felt like hitting the rev limiter @ 3500 revs.I was just dropping the car off for someone else so didn't give it much thought.I've driven cars with dodgy MAF's and it was nothing like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,998 ✭✭✭Barr

gigabit wrote: »

Is it petrol or diesel ?

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭mercservices

TheQueen wrote: »
    Anyone drive one?

Should I avoid or are they ok?

I do very little mileage so cost of running not of huge importance

Thanks
    Spend the money on a big rock, it'll move more than a freelander.
    AVOID all of them at all cost!!

balcan wrote: »
    Deffo felt like hitting the rev limiter @ 3500 revs.I was just dropping the car off for someone else so didn't give it much thought.I've driven cars with dodgy MAF's and it was nothing like that.

There's no point in repeating myself so I won't regarding the MAF :)
    But the L does not hit the limiter at anywhere near 3500 rpm. If the MAF is unplugged it will die at well shy of 4000 rpm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭sk8board

if I remember correctly the safety record on them is woeful too. The A-pilars a the front completely buckle & collapse in a 40mph crash.

They also covered the NCAP safety record on top gear a few years ago; the finishing soundbite was something like 'would you take your kids to school in this car knowing this is what happens in the event of an accident?'

• Registered Users Posts: 6,998 ✭✭✭Barr

sk8board wrote: »
    if I remember correctly the safety record on them is woeful too. The A-pilars a the front completely buckle & collapse in a 40mph crash.

They also covered the NCAP safety record on top gear a few years ago; the finishing soundbite was something like 'would you take your kids to school in this car knowing this is what happens in the event of an accident?'

They are 3 star NCAP which is not that bad by older standards.

Barr wrote: »
    Is it petrol or diesel ?

Its a 2.0L diesel the BMW M47 engine. We had it 5 years and bought a new car last year. Usual story someone wanted me to keep it for them but I will be sticking it up on donedeal this week. NO NCT no tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭dutchcat

considering buying a 2,5 petrol auto with gearbox prob ,should i run away?

• Advertisement

dutchcat wrote: »
    considering buying a 2,5 petrol auto with gearbox prob ,should i run away?

If you intend paying someone to sort it yes, if you are doing it yourself.......... yes run away too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

They're still popular enough in the UK and plenty around here, the late ones are fine, espeially the Td4, they were the biggest selling 4x4 in europe at one point. See no-ones mentioned the IRD or VCU, was a big problem with early ones but ratios were changed for later ones. Owners who don't keep matched tyres or ignore a failing VCU end up with a knackered IRD, about £1000 in parts. You can ignore the damage and carry on in 2wd, many do :rolleyes: Had a case over in the 4x4 forum of an owner who'd been lied to by a dealer and was told the rear propshaft had been removed for economy!!!

Owner ignorance, a petrol engine with marginal cooling and Land Rover's appalling dealer network here have led to the perception that its a a bad vehicle.

Freelander 2 is a different animal entirely and is well regarded so far.

101sean wrote: »
    Owners who don't keep matched tyres or ignore a failing VCU end up with a knackered IRD, about £1000 in parts. You can ignore the damage and carry on in 2wd, many do

Yea, mine has been 2wd for the last 2 years, actually was more economical, and is not a fail in the NCT. I will be selling mine as is, or should I bother with the NCT?

101sean wrote: »
    See no-ones mentioned the IRD or VCU, .

Been there done that :) in other threads

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Stiffs

Pique wrote: »
    Swap for a half eaten Twix and a cold cuppa tae ?

Nearly fell off the chair laughing! :D

Advertisement