Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help! Missed Exam!

Options
  • 11-05-2010 3:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 47

Hey, I wasn't able to sit my exam this morning because I was sick. This is the first time it's happened to me, what happens now? I've read the handbook and understand the general procedure:
    1. Contact Tutor as soon as possible.
    2. Get Med Cert to be excused from exam (can I go to my own doctor? If I go tomorrow will he be able to give me a Cert for today?).

By the way I'm JS BESS, so I'm worried about how this affects my year grade (BESS handbook says we need a II.2 to pass the year). So when do I sit the repeat? (someone mentioned the exam might be set again for me next week?) I just want to make sure there's no mix up/penalties!

Sorry for the post being a bit all over the place, I'm really stressed at the minute!

Thanks in advance for replies.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Sir Ophiuchus

I presume you've contacted your tutor by now. If you can't get them, you should be literally breaking down their door, leaving messages, or going to the Senior Tutor. This is a big deal.

Technically, if your third year marks contribute to your final grade (and I think in BESS they do) then you can't repeat *any* of them. But it's not unusual for them to make exceptions in the case of illness and so on. You must (must!!) have a med cert. Go to a doctor (any doctor or the College Health Service), explain the situation, and they should be able to word the certificate appropriately, making it clear you were ill on the day.

Contact your faculty/department (I get confused with BESS). Let them know. Get your tutor to push it with them.

Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭dan719

Sorry to be a dick, but the above post is almost completely wrong.

There are resits in Third Year Bess, as is does not count towards your final degree. Realistically you will have to sit the exam in September. I would be downright shocked if they let you sit it next week when repeats are avaliable.

As for now, follow this procedure;

Contact both lecturers for the course, the head of department for your particular degree, and your tutor.

Get a med cert, ensure that you keep a copy, deliver one to your tutor and one to the senior lecturers office YOURSELF.

Stay in contact with the department concerned.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

Technically, if your third year marks contribute to your final grade (and I think in BESS they do) then you can't repeat *any* of them.
    Best of luck.
    dan719 wrote: »
    Sorry to be a dick, but the above post is almost completely wrong.

There are resits in Third Year Bess, as is does not count towards your final degree. Realistically you will have to sit the exam in September. I would be downright shocked if they let you sit it next week when repeats are avaliable.
    I think the operative word in Sir Ophiuchus' post was if. He didnt say it did or didnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Sir Ophiuchus

Edit: Never mind, Jammyc made that point for me.

The department, tutor and med cert info is entirely valid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭dan719

Jammyc wrote: »
    I think the operative word in Sir Ophiuchus' post was if. He didnt say it did or didnt.

Eh, he thought that they did. They didn't. Therefore he was wrong. Not only that, but time is not as much of a factor as suggested. Under college regulations you have three days, but I have heard of at least two cases where med certs were presented much later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭dabh

Edit: Never mind, Jammyc made that point for me.

The department, tutor and med cert info is entirely valid.

But, as dan719 emphasized, the really important thing is to make sure that the medical certificate gets to the Senior Lecturer.

It is a wise move to ensure that the department is aware of the situation. But they cannot act formally on such information without a ruling from the Senior Lecturer. Normally the MedCert goes to the SL via the tutor. But if the tutor does not forward it on promptly, there can be complications. (For example, people in the department or faculty office may know very well that the candidate missed the paper through genuine illness, but, in the absence of a formal ruling from the SL, they have to process the result as though the candidate was absent without explanation.) And the SL does not issue rulings unless the necessary paperwork is with her.

Advertisement