Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dr. Michael Robinson vs Peter McParland in NMH

Options
  • 11-05-2010 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi,

It is my time to sign up for a private consultant, and I have to choose between Dr Michael Robinson and Peter McParland in Holles Street.

Do anyone of you have any good / bad experiences with those doctors, can you share or recommend please? I would also like to know who of them is more supportive of VBAC as my first birth was cesarean and I'd like to have a normal second birth.

Also, does the contract with the private doctor obliges him to be present at birth? If not, is it possible to get them to add this condition and how?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Waternews

Hi Vica
    I saw Peter McPartland and he was a really nice guy. He was thorough and answered all my questions. I'd no major issues, but he responded to anything that did come up really well.
    I wouldn't hesitate in recommending him.

I went SP with my first, so I've no idea what his attitude to VBAC is - though if you ring their private secretaries, they might know.

I was recommended Peter McPartland by the private secretary of a different guy who was fully booked - she said 'he's lovely' :)

HTH

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭D rog

It's more likely that the contract will state they won't guarantee to be at the birth at all- and unfortunately you have to accept this as they may be on hols/ dealing with an emergency or something else.
    I doubt you'd have any luck trying to get that inserted as they usually specifically state they cannot guarantee to be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

Dr Robson is the Master of the hospital, I personally wouldn't want him as my doctor. I believe McParland is very nice, but you could save your money and go with the midwives clinic/community midwives. I believe the level of care is equally as high, if not better!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Vica

What is "master" of the hospital? Does this mean a fresh grad out of college? Why you wound't have him - what are the concerns?

I have called a few other doctors, but they seem to be booked out eventhough I'm only on the 8th week. Perhaps, I should convince them somehow or are they really-really booked?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

The master of the hospital is the head of the hospital.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭LashingLady

I would say that they really are booked. There is a baby boom on here so all of the maternity hospitals are very busy! I hear you nearly have to book your OB before you are pregnant!

Have you looked into the midwife led unit in Holles St? Not sure if they take all VBAC ladies but I would say if they did that would be your very best chance of achieving a VBAC as the midwives are very natural labour friendly and the midwives clinics have much lower section rates than consultant led care!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

Vica wrote: »
    What is "master" of the hospital? Does this mean a fresh grad out of college? Why you wound't have him - what are the concerns?

I have called a few other doctors, but they seem to be booked out eventhough I'm only on the 8th week. Perhaps, I should convince them somehow or are they really-really booked?

I don't have any concerns with him, but I have worked with him and he's just not my cup of tea! In my opinion he's a bit like marmite - you either love him or hate him :)

Saying that, he's very good at what he does and you could find him brilliant. I just wouldn't spend thousands on the pleasure of his company!

If you are quite anxious to have your doctor at the birth of your baby, Robson is probably your best bet. He's ALWAYS in the hospital! Very dedicated to his job :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement