Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wind defence!

Options
  • 11-05-2010 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭

Hello everyone.
    I am just about to dive into the world of gorwing my own food. Having done it at home as a child I know how much work is involved. However, the difference is I dont have the ould lad living here with me to tell me what to do so I have a lot to learn.
    I got myself a book 'allotment month by month' which seems very good but it leaves one big question for me...
    My site is a good size and I get sunshine all day long which is great but I am VERY exposed to wind. So much so that I wouldnt feel confident in erecting a grenhouse or tunnel (the wind blew down my argos shed!).
    Do you have any advice on how I could protect my plants from wind or any way i could build a wind resistant greenhouse/tunnel??
    Sorry for waffling and thanks for your help.
    Seán

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Foleyart

You can put up a windbreak fence which you can buy in any good garden center or hardware store. The wind in my place is so bad that I had to put chicken wire behind it to stop it ripping away. Even that was not strong enough so I had to attach it to the posts using aluminium plastering strips. Once you have done that You can plant a hedge. Otherwise you will need to plant trees as a windbreak.

Advertisement