Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which phone should i use? or both?

Options
  • 11-05-2010 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

Im just after winning a blackberry storm 9520 and dont know what to do?, its still boxed and sealed so all options are opened. I currently have a samsung jet s8000. Il tell you what i like or might like about each,
    The jet is fast, and i love the divx support (even if i dont use it that often). there are some nice interface features on it that are convienent, shortcuts and what not, uploading direct to FB and YT for example. However i hate the wifi because you have to constantly change it as you change location, it is very annoying. And once you change it in browser settings you have to change it in application settings to match etc, so i usually just use the 3g. Also the emails dont let you open attachements easily at all and their not nice to look at.

Now the blackberry, im not all that gone on the interface, but am sure it would just take getting used to, the emails would be a plus, and the document editers. No divx playback but if im honest ive only ever used it once, which was to test it. Also how is the wifi on it?, does it remember connections and auto connect or will i have to scroll through dozens of connections and click each time. Now its prob a better phone, but sealed im sure i could get up on 350 euro for the thing. I was thinkin of changing my jet to the galaxy before for android. But i dont want opinions on that.

What do you think i should so?, keep jet and sell bb for 350ish?, or sell jet for 150ish? (if even), or keep both and use them both? (the money from the bb isnt too important to me, il just spend it on something stupid anyway, plus it was free.

Also note that im using a hong kong version of the jet, and the samsung fun club is in chinese so cant use it (having serious probs getting an english or euro firmware on it. but the fun club sucks anyway, i want apps :( which neither support... at least in the sense of android or apple :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭k123456

daveyid89 wrote: »
    . However i hate the wifi because you have to constantly change it as you change location, it is very annoying. And once you change it in browser settings you have to change it in application settings to match etc :(

Thinking of getting a jet, but put off by your report on the wifi ;

So if you reguraly connect to say 3 or 4 wifi's , do u need to put in the wifi password and search for the wifi you have previously connected to ?

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭daveyid89

no, it saves passwords and wep keys, but u need to go into options and select preferred network each time, for example say i have a 2 networks i use regularly and have previously saved them on the phone memory. I turn on wifi and connect to, say the college network, then i have to go into the settings and tell the phone i want my browser to connect using college wifi, that will work for browsing, but if i want to use applications like fb or youtube i have to go into application settings and media settings and tell it to connect to college wifi. then if i go home and connect to that wifi the phone will not work for browsing... because even though its wifi is set to home, the browser is set to connect with college wifi settings, so now have to go and change settings or preferences. Then if in a non wifi spot and want to use 3g, have to change all the settings all over again... took me ages to realise that this was why youtube never worked for me, because it was set to connect using 3g when my browser was set to wifi...

its just you have to make sure everything is connected individually to the same network to get things to work, and the only way to do this is to manually tell each application to do so, so in order to get youtube working at a new wifi spot than before, you need to connect to wifi, then change browser settings to connect to the new wifi, then change media settings to connect via new wifi, and when you go home you have to change it back.

Other than that its a good phone, screen scratches easily enough, and there is a ink blotch under the screen that apparently effects over 90% of the manufactured jets, and no app's to speak of really.
    Camera is brilliant on it, not so much for night shots though. too much cool little tricks to go through here on it, check this site if you havenet before...

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_s8000_jet-2835.php
    http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_s8000_jet-review-361.php

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭daveyid89

just found out the storm does indeed have divx and xvid playback, very nice, that makes decision easier by a bit

Advertisement