Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

grass well behind

Options
  • 11-05-2010 11:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭

went to the glanbia vote in kildalton yesterday and was amazed how behind the grass growth is compared to other years, also there where not many cattle at all in the fields on the way down , is this a sign of the times

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

just a sign of the weather, bitterly cold here yesterday evening, put in a good strong bull calf this morning..coughing very badly..alot of cattle still indoors id say

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Bitten & Hisses

It's just so so cold at present, the usual surge of grass growth hasn't materialised. Usually, I'd be struggling to stay ahead of grass growth and would probably be thinking about taking out some paddocks for a light crop of bales. With the last week, I've been giving the cows silage outdoors. The ground is like concrete and the fertiliser I spread two weeks ago is still visible, even after a few showers. I've seen better growth in October than in May 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭wiggy123

true..growth rate is poor! am ok at mo..plenty of grass ahead,at mo! only carrying--30 cattle+fathers (16 horses) on about 42acres--of so/so land...
    also silage ground out of that..
    so am ok--i suppose! long time till november though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

touch wood we are not too bad here but its interesting to see different areas of the country... i honestly thought there would be silage being done but it seems very far away at the minute

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

grass slow here too, only closing up silage ground now, frost last night again and way too dry.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭BeeDI

Both my neighbours have great grass;););):D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭red bull

Usually cut my silage late May looks like it will be mid June this year with luck. Grazing ground like a golf course cows on 10 pounds of nuts, a tough year:(:(

Advertisement