Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend-shoot em ups/platformers for mame

Options
  • 11-05-2010 11:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭

Was just wondering could some of you's recommend some of the more obscure platformers/shoot em ups that I might of missed when i was on the hop from mass and playing in my local arcade when I was younger:D

Always liked shoot em ups but was never very good at them so I usualy spent my 10 pence on new zealand story or shinobi!
    Thanks in advance,

Labmouse

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭97i9y3941

Nam1975
    Metal slug
    Ghouls and ghosts
    Mercs
    Operation wolf
    Cabal
    Alien storm
    Terminator 2 arcade game

*vids them games can be found on youtube,you need neo geo bios run nam/metal slug,it can be found on search..

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,250 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

The R-Type games springs to mind for arcade shooters, I'm sure there are bazillions more. A cool platform game (kind of) I came across recently was Willow (yep based on the film), it's a great little game if you have it. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭97i9y3941

dungeons and dragons arcade another brill one..

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Rodland, Snow Bros, Rainbow Islands and try the alterantive roms for TNZS.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,011 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Bubble Bobble
    Bubble Symphony
    Pac-Land
    R-type 1,2 and Leo
    Layer Section
    Salamander
    Gradius 1,2 and 3
    Dodonpachi
    Darius Gaiden

Off the top of my head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Bubble Bobble
    Bubble Symphony
    Pac-Land
    R-type 1,2 and Leo
    Layer Section
    Salamander
    Gradius 1,2 and 3
    Dodonpachi
    Darius Gaiden

Off the top of my head.

You left out Toki!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭vangoz

Sunset Riders

• Registered Users Posts: 34,632 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Some more shooters for you to try out-

Raiden (Raiden 2 is better but can't be emulated :()
    Armed Police Batrider
    Mars Matrix
    Progear
    Guwange
    Pulstar
    Blazing Star
    Aero Fighters 2 & 3

Also give Dead Connection and Elevator Action Returns a go. Both look and play great.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Wow Salamander... that takes me back. Played the c64 port way back when and have only ever played the arcade version once or twice. I must give it another look.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,011 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

LoGiE wrote: »
    Wow Salamander... that takes me back. Played the c64 port way back when and have only ever played the arcade version once or twice. I must give it another look.

The arcade version is a stone cold classic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

thanks for the replies.There's a good few there that I havent heard off before.

Only just recently got a joystick hack rom for CABAL,as I couldnt configure any of the other rom versions to play with a pad.

Wow only just remembered playing salamander on the c64 like a poster above.Must check the arcade version out.Wasnt there another game on the c64 that was called nemisis(sp?)that was similar.

Being trying to get a version of Ikari Warriors that is usuable with a joypad(not even sure if there is a joystick hack )The arcade original had a twisty joystick that rotated you so you could fire.

Nemesis is the western name of the first Gradius game. Salamander is a spin-off of Gradius.

Both were great on the C64 though.

Load times were a pain in Salamander though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Both were great on the C64 though.

Load times were a pain in Salamander though.

Sorted that out for ya there :p

Nemesis was a single load, wasn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭sengoku

Carrier Airwing (Horizontal shooter)
    Raiden Fighters (Vertical shooter)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,238 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

wonder boy in monster land is probably my favorite. also shinobi and ghouls and goblins/ghosts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭komodosp

Add my vote to
    Sunset Riders and Carrier Airwing

Also not sure if you'd call them obscure but I only came across one place with...
    Blood Bros
    Outzone
    Robocop II
    All ate many a 20p piece of mine!

Platformers: Rainbow Islands... Though it's fairly well known I never came across an arcade machine with it.

Advertisement