Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

neighbour cut down hedge

Options
  • 11-05-2010 10:28am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 616 ✭✭✭

so, im a wee bit annoyed with my neighbour, yesterday my husband went out to get something from the car , came back in and said that the neighbour has been trimming the hedge that grows up the back wall, and that he was doing a few of the others in the street. i thought ok, fair play, we dont have a strimmer so it doesnt get done much.. but i went out later on and hes actually cut it completely off the wall and had left the branches beside the house, which is a public path and small grassy area, just off the pavement. he didnt cut down anyone elses hedge and i dont know why he did it to ours. im nearly thinking its not actually our hedge (live in the last house on a row of terraces)... but im so confused over this, why did he pick 'our' hedge and surely if he didnt ask us if it was ok to chop it down, hed tidy up after himself as well, not expect us to do the heavy job.??

the hedge is a mess in the street, ive nowhere to put it either, and im not happy that he did it in the first place, so why should i tidy it up?? what can i do???

oh yeh, and im sick in bed dying of the flu, i dont need this!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Elle Collins

I'd be asking him what he was at OP. And I'd certainly not be tidying up after him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

I'm a bit confused. Is it a hedge or a climber? Is it actually your property or on your property? If it's on a public road, do you live in an estate managed by a management company or in charge of the local Council?
    If it's your property, I'd imagine he has committed criminal damage and you can sue, if it's on your property you can add trespass to that.
    If it's on a public road in a private estate, talk to the Management Co.
    If it's on a public road in a Council managed estate, talk to the Environment section.
    First of all, talk to the neighbour, if it's not your property he may have been given permission to cut it. Either way, he shouldn't have left the mess on a public road.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 616 ✭✭✭pearljamfan

thanks for the replies, to be honest im not even sure whos hedge this is, its not a low hedge its like a big tree/bush that grows up my back yard wall, its on the outside wall, grows from the pavement, and most of the neighbours that have back gates backing onto the road have them, and look after there own sides,the houses on the opposite side of the street are front doors, low hedges.does that make sense? its an old ex council estate, there is a community group for our street, ive never been approached to join.
    im not really interested in causing any trouble about it, id only really talk to my immediate neighbours and hes from down the other end, im just a bit confused as to why he completely lopped it off and im worried that ill get in trouble for the mess at the side of the house.
    but i suppose without talking to said neighbour ill never know., im in my 30's and they are all 60-70 so i just find it a bit difficult chatting to them! they probably hate me cos my back yard is concrete and i dont garden!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

thanks for the replies, to be honest im not even sure whos hedge this is, its not a low hedge its like a big tree/bush that grows up my back yard wall, its on the outside wall, grows from the pavement, and most of the neighbours that have back gates backing onto the road have them, and look after there own sides,the houses on the opposite side of the street are front doors, low hedges.does that make sense? its an old ex council estate, there is a community group for our street, ive never been approached to join.
    im not really interested in causing any trouble about it, id only really talk to my immediate neighbours and hes from down the other end, im just a bit confused as to why he completely lopped it off and im worried that ill get in trouble for the mess at the side of the house.
    but i suppose without talking to said neighbour ill never know., im in my 30's and they are all 60-70 so i just find it a bit difficult chatting to them! they probably hate me cos my back yard is concrete and i dont garden!!

I think if you chat to your neighbours you may find that this has been done with their consent and depending on what the plant was, the "offender" may well have done you a favour. A lot of well established communities have informal arrangements like communal grass cutting etc. and can be very set in their ways, maybe you should approach the community group and ask to join.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

I might have this wrong, but did he cut your hedge/tree because it looked a mess? And made the road look a bit of a mess?

Can you post some pictures of the hedge/tree?

• Advertisement
Advertisement