If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyway to connect UPC analogue cable *AND* a normal aerial at the same time?

Options
  • 11-05-2010 10:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭

I have UPC Digital (& analogue obviously) at home but also get the MPEG-4 channels off a small telescopic aerial.

As the tv has only one aerial / cable [RF] input I was wondering is it possible to get some kind of splitter that allows you to have both connected simultaneously.

Why would I want to do this? Well, if the digital box is recording something and I want to watch normal analogue off the UPC analogue, I can. However, I've noticed that the picture quality off the Digital trial is leagues ahead of both the analogue and digital box.

At the minute I'm pulling the UPC analogue and plugging in the Aerial when I want to watch RTE on digital and then swapping back to watch UPC analogue.

I tried a Y splitter but when I plug in the UPC cable it kills the signal from the small aerial and the digital channels disappear.

Any ideas? TV is a Philips 8404 purchased from the philips shop about six weeks ago. Posting here as I'm sure you'll have been asked this before.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Ashley

Hi Zaphodbeeb

Have a gander at this
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=29538

this should do the trick.
    It allows two RF feeds into your TV but you can switch between the two inputs (both cant feed TV simutaneously as you'll get all sorts of interference)

Cheap as well....

Maplin on Jervis street may have them

Hope this helps
    Ash

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭zaphodbeeb

I was hoping a device might exist that didn't need a switch - but for under a tenner, that yoke is worth a go.

Thanks. I'll report back on how I get on. No-one's asked this before?

:-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Ashley

No worries.

That was just a quick and by no means exhaustive search on Maplins website.
    They may well have remote switching options in there somewhere.

When I first read your question I immediatley thought back to my days of Nintendo SNES gaming on a 14" crt (ahh those were the days.....) - they had a little RF switchable splitter lead, so went a hunting online to see if such a thing still existed.

Suprisingly no, your the first person thats asked after something like this!

cheers
    Ash

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

As Chorus/NTL analogue signals are mostly VHF, (some are UHF) and all Irish DVB-T signals are UHF what *MIGHT* work is a simple UHF/VHF combiner/splitter as long as the frequencies DO NOT CLASH

Similar to this:

http://cgi.ebay.ie/SATELLITE-DIPLEXER-M-5-2250MHZ-SAT-UHF-VHF-COMBINER-NEW-/160266390979?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item25509f0dc3#ht_647wt_939

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

+1

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭zaphodbeeb

Ashley, I found myself in town today and popped into Maplins and got this yoke for €8.29.

WORKS PERFECTLY! Thanks a million. Still have to get up out of chair but I can live with that - was concerned about damaging RF in socket on the telly over time but more likely would've just given up on the digital side....

Thanks again.

-ZB

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.