Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

??Crowbangers??

Options
  • 11-05-2010 8:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭

Are these legal, please?

All last week, every night between 2 am and 6 am, what we thought was gunfire.

And today, from around 7.30 am.

We have a rescue collie who is badly thunder/firing phobic and no one is getting any sleep.

It is from the north east, towards Barnesmore Gap /Balleybofey direction.

Seemingly it is on for the day now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭EAFC_rdfl

some one obviously has corn sowed, and is using a banger to keep birds from destroying it. don't see any problem with that, and it might only be for a few weeks til the corn starts growing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

Graces7 wrote: »
    Are these legal, please?

All last week, every night between 2 am and 6 am, what we thought was gunfire.

And today, from around 7.30 am.

We have a rescue collie who is badly thunder/firing phobic and no one is getting any sleep.

It is from the north east, towards Barnesmore Gap /Balleybofey direction.

Seemingly it is on for the day now.

thier are laws in place which prohibit noise levels reaching a certain level at certain times of the day , after ten at night and before eight in the morning is the designated period as far as i know , dogs barking , security alarms going off etc would qualify and im pretty sure crow bangers would aswell , the problem is tryiing to get something done about it , the guards will tell you its a civil matter and i doubt the owner of the crow banger will be much help , anyone who is that inconsiderete is unlikely to be sympathetic to your situation , the local authority ( officially ) deal with issues of noise pollution but whether they will bother to do anything is another story , most civil servants in this country perfer to look the other way

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

EAFC_rdfl wrote: »
    some one obviously has corn sowed, and is using a banger to keep birds from destroying it. don't see any problem with that, and it might only be for a few weeks til the corn starts growing

In fairness having a crow banger running all night long within ear shot of neighbours is out of order. Fair enough he's entitled to use it during the day to protect his crop but he needs to have some consideration of otheres.

OP, try contacting him and asking him nicely if he would mind leaving it off during the night. If he's won't play ball then you could get snotty with him

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

In fairness having a crow banger running all night long within ear shot of neighbours is out of order. Fair enough he's entitled to use it during the day to protect his crop but he needs to have some consideration of otheres.

OP, try contacting him and asking him nicely if he would mind leaving it off during the night. If he's won't play ball then you could get snotty with him

I will try to find him in these wild mountains.

Found an earlier thread here that assures that these thngs do not work after a few days anyways. They get used to them of course.

Anyone who does not see a problem with it needs to live nearby. :rolleyes:

The Gardai were very helpful and a patrol car will be round.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭djmc

I doubt if there is someone growing grain or corn where you live in the mountains in donegal sounds more like some messers with nothing better to do
    or maybe frighten off foxes or something.
    Try get some one to track down source of banger

• Advertisement

djmc wrote: »
    I doubt if there is someone growing grain or corn where you live in the mountains in donegal sounds more like some messers with nothing better to do
    or maybe frighten off foxes or something.
    Try get some one to track down source of banger

That makes sense; thank you. Especially with the timing; and we are trying to do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Bangers are a waste of time if they're trying to scare off foxes. If you do meet the person, and that's the reason they have it out, might be a constructive route to suggest getting someone local in to deal with problem foxes by shooting, snaring or using terriers.

johngalway wrote: »
    Bangers are a waste of time if they're trying to scare off foxes. If you do meet the person, and that's the reason they have it out, might be a constructive route to suggest getting someone local in to deal with problem foxes by shooting, snaring or using terriers.

Ill in bed just now; it is on in the mornings now for around 2 hours.

Our rescued abused collie is thunder/gunfire phobic. Her suffering is appalling to see and hear.

Wish I could meet the guy with a tape of her pain.

I recognise the annoyance, what I meant above is that it's easier to catch flies with honey than vinegar. Perhaps an informal chat with the landowner would yield better results than a visit from the boys in blue who may aggravate things, they have their job to do but they don't always help the situation.

I recognise the annoyance, what I meant above is that it's easier to catch flies with honey than vinegar. Perhaps an informal chat with the landowner would yield better results than a visit from the boys in blue who may aggravate things, they have their job to do but they don't always help the situation.

All well and good maybe if you are a large farmer. Believe me, a disabled female pensioner has no effect. Been there, done that, been assaulted too many times in one way or another.

if I could find where this lunatic is, I could do something, but, you know, ill in bed limits one.

As does the fact of a dirty great mountain and no road in that direction.

And no one in their right minds sets a crowbanger off at 30 second intervals at one am in the morning.

which is what is happening here tonight

Boys in blue or men in white coats sounds good to me for these ...

• Advertisement

Well anyway, I've made my suggestion, I do think you're going into the thing too fast. Hope it gets resolved.

Well anyway, I've made my suggestion, I do think you're going into the thing too fast. Hope it gets resolved.

Four weeks is fast?

Ah well; there is no dispute to resolve. When we find him, he will know about it.

Because if this goes on we will lose the collie. NO WAY..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 NC27

We had this problem where I live. It was going off every 5 mins all trough the night. While on my mission to find who it was I found out it had been sorted by some other local.
    It turned out the farmer was useing it to scare of deer because he tought they where giving his cattle T.B. And because of that local that sorted it the farmer no longer has a problem with deer and we can sleep at night.
    So if you do find out who it is try not let you anger get the better of you and see if there is other options.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

Graces, i do think your gettin a small bit angry. Involving the boys in blue is a bit much this early. How far is it from your house if you dont mind me asking? I would much rather if a neighbour came up to me with a problem without a gaurd knocking on my door. It would not be too hard find out who owns the field if you really wanted.
    A neighbour came to us with the same problem about one a farmer had behind our house. it was literally less than 100yards from my place but never bothered me as i grew up with the sounds of the country. Around ten every night i went out and turned it off for her, as the farmer lives a few miles away. Problem solved, without the boys in blue. During the day though, he's well entitled to, weather your dog is noise shy or not. Thats your problem to sort out.
    Do everyone a favour and dont get the gaurds out.
    Just my opinion and im not a farmer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭djmc

In all fairness if she is a a disabled female pensioner liveing on her own on a big mountain listening to that banging every night for nearly 3 weeks she is entitaled to call the guards.
    She is hardly going to roaming around the mountain in the middle of the night on her own.
    I think she should contact the guards,local councel,TDs,mountain rescue,local radio stations and anyone else who will listen.
    If they get the person behind it they will hardly put him in jail
    He will just be told to keep the banger off at night time 11pm to 8 am I think

djmc wrote: »
    In all fairness if she is a a disabled female pensioner liveing on her own on a big mountain listening to that banging

Sorry forgot the fact she was bed bound. This is in no way meant to sound mean but surely she knows some neighbours or has a minder who could ask the nearest farm house. Said farmer probably dosnt even realise he's causing a problem at all.
    She is hardly going to roaming around the mountain in the middle of the night on her own

Who said she should do that???
    I think she should contact the guards,local councel,TDs,mountain rescue,local radio stations and anyone else who will listen.

Its a crow banger ffs. Maybe a call to Joe Duffy too:rolleyes: And a very good afternoon to you.;)
    Thats the problem with this country, no body knows their neighbours anymore, and would call gaurds etc insteadof a friendly word.
    If they get the person behind it they will hardly put him in jail
    No but wouldnt it be nicer to phone him??

Not being smart or disrespectful to the woman. Maybe she has no near neighbours, or phone numbers for them, or is knew to the area. I just pointed out it would be nicer to talk to someone than through a third person. Anyway id say its sorted now, feck all crowbangers still out. Unless of course its the problem with deer

Graces7 wrote: »
    All well and good maybe if you are a large farmer. Believe me, a disabled female pensioner has no effect. Been there, done that, been assaulted too many times in one way or another.

if I could find where this lunatic is, I could do something, but, you know, ill in bed limits one.

As does the fact of a dirty great mountain and no road in that direction.

And no one in their right minds sets a crowbanger off at 30 second intervals at one am in the morning.

which is what is happening here tonight

Boys in blue or men in white coats sounds good to me for these ...

With all due respect, you're making judgments about the person without having met them. Someone who believes a banger will scare off predators may well set it off during the night. All land is owned, it's not hard to find out by whom. I'm being completely honest with you here in that you're more likely to make an enemy out of someone calling out the law over something like this. It's easier for all concerned to try to talk about it first, you haven't done that.

Dusty87 wrote: »
    Sorry forgot the fact she was bed bound. This is in no way meant to sound mean but surely she knows some neighbours or has a minder who could ask the nearest farm house. Said farmer probably dosnt even realise he's causing a problem at all.

Who said she should do that???

Its a crow banger ffs. Maybe a call to Joe Duffy too:rolleyes: And a very good afternoon to you.;)
    Thats the problem with this country, no body knows their neighbours anymore, and would call gaurds etc insteadof a friendly word.

No but wouldnt it be nicer to phone him??

Not being smart or disrespectful to the woman. Maybe she has no near neighbours, or phone numbers for them, or is knew to the area. I just pointed out it would be nicer to talk to someone than through a third person. Anyway id say its sorted now, feck all crowbangers still out. Unless of course its the problem with deer

your attitude is one of make the victim out to be the bad guy , i honestly dont get your defense of the farmer , IMO , anyone who is inconsiderete enough to allow unacceptable levels of noise , emunate from thier property ( at post night fall and pre day light ) is not the type of person who would be receptive of a gentle word in the ear , this kind of obnoxiousness needs to be knocked on the head quickly and descisiveley

irishh_bob wrote: »
    is not the type of person who would be receptive of a gentle word in the ear

Genuine question. How do you know, not having met the person? There is often a rush to regulations on this site, when a quiet word can often solve things a lot easier.

your attitude is one of make the victim out to be the bad guy , i honestly dont get your defense of the farmer , IMO , anyone who is inconsiderete enough to allow unacceptable levels of noise , emunate from thier property ( at post night fall and pre day light ) is not the type of person who would be receptive of a gentle word in the ear , this kind of obnoxiousness needs to be knocked on the head quickly and descisiveley

Are you sure that the farmer even knows its bothering the woman??
    If he knew it was then i would call him inconsiderate but he probably dosnt even know whats going on.

• Advertisement

Dusty87 wrote: »
    Are you sure that the farmer even knows its bothering the woman??
    If he knew it was then i would call him inconsiderate but he probably dosnt even know whats going on.

yeah , his name is probabley fr dougal mc guire :rolleyes:

Genuine question. How do you know, not having met the person? There is often a rush to regulations on this site, when a quiet word can often solve things a lot easier.

and i suppose you do know the person ??

i base my opinion on the fact that he or she has allowed unacceptable noise levels originate from thier property during periods which are most sensitive regarding noise , in my mind , those are the actions of someone who is indifferent to thier neighbours wellbeing

yeah , his name is probabley fr dougal mc guire :rolleyes:

Alright, You win:rolleyes:.
    Leaving out the thought that the farmer could have done this for years with no complaint. (the first complaint the farmer behind us got was this year, when new neighbours moved in. Again it was sorted with a word to us, house nearest the field).
    Also the fact Sorella, sorry, Graces7 is only renting the house shes in adds more credibillity to the above statement.
    And she wants you to think shes an angel, yet (from other posts about the crowbanger in other boards sections) shes sent her friends out who as she said shes not going to repeat what there going to do to the banger:rolleyes:.

But yea, call the gaurds, TDs, radio stations and get it sorted. If that dosnt work find the farmer. Maybe he'll actually do something.

I forgot, ring mountain rescue. Maybe they'll find the thing and airlift it out of there.

Again its only a feckin crowbanger jeez.

Advertisement