Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with name ???

Options
  • 10-05-2010 9:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

We were thinking of calling the baby MJ. What do you think of this name is it ok ?? My wife is not too keen but I love it. Please give me your oponion please ?? Cool or not ???:eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

Hi All,

We were thinking of calling the baby MJ. What do you think of this name is it ok ?? My wife is not too keen but I love it. Please give me your oponion please ?? Cool or not ???:eek:

Hi King Mallie,

Are you thinking MJ for a boy or girl? Also so you want it to be a shortened version of another name ie) Mary-Jane or Mark-Jonathan, or a first name in it's own right?

I like the name MJ but I don't know if I would put it on the birth cert really. Personally I would see it as more of a nickname/shorter name. I would also think a lot of people might presume it is initials for the kids first name.

Just my opinion though!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Lollymcd

Hi All,

I promise you, at some stage in the kids life, he/she will be called JR. Sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭King Mallie

Hi lola,

Thanks for your reply. I was going to put full name on birth cert but call him MJ as short. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

MJ was often the nick name for a man who's parents during a difficult and dangerous labour would offer to call the child after Mary and Jesus as an act of plea bargining for the mother and babies life. Giving a child Jesus as a first name would be considered blasphemous so the babes were christening Mary Jesus, girls were called Mary and the boys were called MJ.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Waternews

Eh.. isn't that what spidey calls his love interest/girlfriend in the spiderman movies...
    just worth considering.. you don't necessarily want your son compared to Kirsten Dunst for his school years..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Spinach

Or does it stand for Michael Jackson, since it's a boy?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

Also MJ is Susan's little boy in Desperate Housewives. I think its deadly, go for it:D.

Thanks Guys for your replies. I will take them onboard. Please god we will pick the correct name. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

I think it depends what part of the country you're in, I'm in Kilkenny and its a really common name down here (normally Michael Joseph or similar) yet when I lived in Dublin I never heard the name.

If you like the name go for it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭Tmeos

Hi Op, first thing I thought of was Michael Jackson too, I dont know if thats a good or bad thing in your book.

I'm not too keen on initial type names myself but if you like it and it goes with the surname then why not

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭wanrek

full name Em Jay :D

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭cch

73Cat wrote: »
    Also MJ is Susan's little boy in Desperate Housewives. I think its deadly, go for it:D.

Only because Mike got her to agree to name him after his grandfather, she thought it was the one she knew of, but it turned out to be the other who had some horrifically old-fashioned name!!

Edit: quick google shows it was Maynard!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Bubbles09

I'm due in august and want to go for something original and plain like Patrick Joseph and shortening it to Pa-joe.. I really like it but ppl look at me weird when I tell them.. They're like NO call him Bradley or Ashton! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

thing i found was i'd have a couple of names and when i saw the baby in the delivery room the name jumped at me...my middle girl i was going to call her emily grace, but i took one look at her and said 'nope she's grace emily..' :D

Thanks for all your replies. but i'm little worried about some people who think the mj stands for micheal jackson. At the end of the day nobody's oponion counts on name expects parents. And all everyone is a healthy baby. So please God as will go well.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

Bubbles09 I think Pa-Joe is dotey, I've never heard it before :)

Its entirely up to the parents what you want to call your baba.

My mother in law told me not to feel obliged to call our baby after any family members, she had to with hers & 2 of her sons use different names to what they were christened with because they didn't like their birth name! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Bubbles09 wrote: »
    I'm due in august and want to go for something original and plain like Patrick Joseph and shortening it to Pa-joe.. I really like it but ppl look at me weird when I tell them.. They're like NO call him Bradley or Ashton! :confused:

That sounds like a great normal name. It's great that it's not the latest fashionable name that goes out of fashion all to quickly like the Bradleys and Asthons of this world.

Krystal's of the 80s (Dynasty) are now being joined by Addisons (Gray's Anatomy)!!! While of course it's true that it's up to the parents, it's the poor children that have to live with these names for the rest of their lives.

Pa-joe, PJ, Pat, Paddy or Patrick will be happy with his name now and in 50 years time. I say go for it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Spinach

Thanks for all your replies. but i'm little worried about some people who think the mj stands for micheal jackson. At the end of the day nobody's oponion counts on name expects parents. And all everyone is a healthy baby. So please God as will go well.:rolleyes:

Yes of course the parents' opinion on the name is what counts. But you probably should bear in mind that if we're speculating here, you'll probably get loads of people asking you what it stands for later on too. And you seem reluctant at the moment to tell us what it really does stand for, so as long as you're prepared for that...

What alternatives does your wife prefer anyway, if she's not convinced yet about MJ?

Advertisement