Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendations for Rosslare please

Options
  • 10-05-2010 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

Hi,

The family is heading to England on the Rosslare-Pembroke ferry in June, we're going on the 8.45am sailing and will head down the day before. As we'll have 2 young kids with us I won't wildcamp but would appreciate recommendations re nearby campsites, we dont want to do a big drive that morning, there'll be a big enough one waiting for us the far side.

Thanks,

Leana.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭KoNiT

best I can tell you is in wexford town called Ferrybank.. it's just over the bridge from the main town & your quickly on the ferry road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

A few in here close by http://www.camping-ireland.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭niloc1951

leana wrote: »
    Hi,

The family is heading to England on the Rosslare-Pembroke ferry in June, we're going on the 8.45am sailing and will head down the day before. As we'll have 2 young kids with us I won't wildcamp but would appreciate recommendations re nearby campsites, we dont want to do a big drive that morning, there'll be a big enough one waiting for us the far side.

Thanks,

Leana.

If you time it to arrive after the last ferry has gone you can park along the hedge facing the check-in booths. If you are not in the way of the queue next morning the staff will not bother you.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Betsy Og

We parked up in the carpark adjacent to the ferry, absolutely no probs (I'm sure it happens every night over the Summer). We paid the pay & display parking (something like €5) just to be sure but that was probably even being overcautious.

Between check in-check out and all the rest it would be more hassle than worth to stay somewhere nearby. Carpark is floodlit so appears fairly safe and you can be fairly sure there will be other ferry folk not far away. (was more apprehensive staying in a public carpark in the middle of Dover but that was fine too)

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭BrenCooney

try St Margarets in carne, which is about 4 miles from the harbour.
    quite and well run.
    its mainly a mobile home park but they have a good number of sites for campers/caravans and tents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭leana

Thanks for your replies, I've never sailed from Rosslare before so I've no idea of the set up down there, it would be very handy to park there but the kids are only 2 and 3 so we really need somewhere to let them run the legs off themselves before bed. Still, it could be an idea to find a nice beach, spend a few hours there, tire them out then get them ready for bed and let them fall asleep on the journey to the port;). Otherwise St Margarets looks like a good bet.

What is the story for check in there? Do you queue and drive up to the check in booths or park up then check in?

Reply at your peril, I'll probably come up with twenty more questions, novice ferry traveller that i am:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

leana wrote: »
    What is the story for check in there? Do you queue and drive up to the check in booths or park up then check in?

You just arrive at the booth and check in. I have never seen a queue. Then you wait in the line to get on a hundred yards further on. No need to be too early as the motorhomes are last on with the trucks and buses on the Irish Ferries ship anyway. An hour beforehand is more than plenty.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭bido

St. Margarets Caravan Park is a few miles from the port it is a 3 Star park with hard stands showers etc.not just for Mobile homes as was previously stated.
    It is a very friendly clean site very popular with people going on the Ferry.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

We've camped in the carpark there overnight with the 2 kids waiting on the early morning Pembroke sailing. It's well lit and quiet. We got to know the friendly security guard quite well as he stopped for a chat everytime he passed by. I do it again in a heart beat.

Advertisement