Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone want to film/edit motor racing?

Options
  • 10-05-2010 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭

Hi guys, I hope this is in the right section.

I am a organiser for a Irish motor racing series. We are looking to get approx 4/5 camera operators to film our races, all of which are held at Mondello Park in Kildare on Sundays. There is also one weekends racing at the Phoenix Park in August.

What we want to achieve is decent quality footage of each days racing. A total of about 30 minutes action. This trackside footage would be added to the drivers own on-board footage and would need to be edited into about twenty minutes of broadcast footage for upload to our website and various forums, etc.

We are a non profit making club and therefore have limited funds but I am not expecting this to be done for nothing, but the closer to zero the better :)

It could be of interest to people studying TV production etc, there is also future commercial possibilities that I can speak to any interested parties about.

Any info appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

The cheapest I could see this being filmed for by professionals is about 5,000 euro per day.

That wouldn't include the editing however.

The thing with things like this is you get what you pay for. If somebody offers to get 5 camera operators plus gear and edit it all together in a package that looks good and they're offering you a price close to zero then you need to wonder why they can offer it that cheaply.

PM me and I could give you more accurate figures on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

What do you plan to do with the finished product Barry?

I know guys who produce these type of videos for the banger racing market and they are very lucrative.

Too lucrative to expect anyone (decent) to do it for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

BarryM3 wrote: »
    Hi guys, I hope this is in the right section.

I am a organiser for a Irish motor racing series. We are looking to get approx 4/5 camera operators to film our races, all of which are held at Mondello Park in Kildare on Sundays. There is also one weekends racing at the Phoenix Park in August.

What we want to achieve is decent quality footage of each days racing. A total of about 30 minutes action. This trackside footage would be added to the drivers own on-board footage and would need to be edited into about twenty minutes of broadcast footage for upload to our website and various forums, etc.

We are a non profit making club and therefore have limited funds but I am not expecting this to be done for nothing, but the closer to zero the better :)

It could be of interest to people studying TV production etc, there is also future commercial possibilities that I can speak to any interested parties about.

Any info appreciated
    PM me your email and I will put you in contact with a chap who may be interested. I will send him your contact details with your permission and you guys can subsequently negotiate possiblilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭BarryM3

The cheapest I could see this being filmed for by professionals is about 5,000 euro per day.

That wouldn't include the editing however.

miles off !! I can get it recorded, edited and broadcast on terrestrial and satellite TV numerous times for half that price. By a well know Motorsport production company!!!

Keefg and Deliverance. Ideally I just want a watchable 2x YouTube 10 minute videos. I'm thinking 4 trackside cameras (they don't have to be €50k tv broadcast cameras) mixed with the competitors own on board footage. Could maybe add commentary aferwards?

Will pm on my details tomorrow. Am only on phone now

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

LOL @ Jeff Lebowski! You need to work on your business skills there buddy, you're giving the rest of us a bad name with a quote like that! And not even edited?!! Insane!

• Advertisement

miles off !! I can get it recorded, edited and broadcast on terrestrial and satellite TV numerous times for half that price. By a well know Motorsport production company!!!

That's great. Use them then. Why are you looking for new people to do it if you have this resource available to you?

Also you shouldn't pay to have a show broadcast on television, so that doesn't come into the price of making the piece.
    m83 wrote: »
    LOL @ Jeff Lebowski! You need to work on your business skills there buddy, you're giving the rest of us a bad name with a quote like that! And not even edited?!! Insane!

I'm not pitching for the job so spare me your attempt at condescension. I was merely telling the OP what the rate would be to get in an outside company to do this. Since I've worked in Film and TV for a good few years at this point I think I have some idea what the going rates for professional crews are.

5,000 euro for 5 professional cameramen for the day, filming on HD cameras, and vision mixed on the day with all cameras also recording ISO is not insane - in fact it's a lot lower than it would cost to get an OB unit to do it. The company I would have put the OP in touch with work regularly on jobs for RTE and BBC as well as having filmed several of the biggest selling Irish performance DVDs of the past year. They get the work because they provide a high quality, reliable, professional service in studio or on location and they do it for less than these companies would otherwise have to pay i.e. with an OB unit.

I think we're talking completely different levels of skill and experience here. A couple of lads with handycams and Premiere Pro could do it but the result would, let's face, it - look shite in comparison.

What you get is a professional product delivered promptly, no waiting around for weeks while somebody tries to figure out the output settings on their laptop. But if the OP is only looking for web footage and doesn't mind too much if it's not as slick looking then it's probably not the level they're looking for.

That's great. Use them then. Why are you looking for new people to do it if you have this resource available to you?

Also you shouldn't pay to have a show broadcast on television, so that doesn't come into the price of making the piece.

5,000 euro for 5 professional cameramen for the day,

I think we're talking completely different levels of skill and experience here. A couple of lads with handycams and Premiere Pro could do it but the result would, let's face, it - look shite in comparison.
    if the OP is only looking for web footage and doesn't mind too much if it's not as slick looking then it's probably not the level they're looking for.

Just to address these few points and for clarification.

The figure I have been quoted is for TV, something I'm not too pushed about TBH. I think a decent online video is of more use to me. The reason I stated that is was for television is to indicate the level that these people operate at, I understand broadcast time shouldn't be paid for! The reason I am looking elsewhere is that, quite simply the series can't afford that.

Am I right in deducing that cameramen charge €1000 per day???

This is a start up series so there isn't big budgets, that may change in time however!

Maybe I'm wrong but I thought that there may be a few people out there who are getting into the industry that would like to get to do some recording (while earning a small amount) that they could use as a show-reel etc, also there is a very real commercial opportunity here that I could introduce them to.

Handycams would probably do the job nicely, though that may be sacrilege to say in this section :D

If no-one is interested in doing it I will get a few non camera type volunteers to record it on their Mammys Sony and tripod and then pay an editor to do what he can with the footage!!

The figure I have been quoted is for TV, something I'm not too pushed about TBH. I think a decent online video is of more use to me. The reason I stated that is was for television is to indicate the level that these people operate at, I understand broadcast time shouldn't be paid for! The reason I am looking elsewhere is that, quite simply the series can't afford that.

That's fair enough. Although, and I don't know what company you were quoted by so I don't want to bad mouth them, I would be wary of someone who says they can deliver that kind of shoot to a broadcast standard including graphics and commentary added in later for 2.5 grand. It seems a bit too cheap to me.

A freelance professional cameraman would be about 400-500 per day. So five cameraman would cost somewhere between 2 and 2.5 thousand. The rest of the money would be for gear rental, transport etc. and for a director to oversee the day's shoot. These guys would have every cameraman on talkback so the director can communicate with them at all times - make sure they get exactly what's required.

Also because the director would vision mix it as it's being shot that would mean you spend less time in the edit.

Maybe I'm wrong but I thought that there may be a few people out there who are getting into the industry that would like to get to do some recording (while earning a small amount) that they could use as a show-reel etc, also there is a very real commercial opportunity here that I could introduce them to.

There very well may be. I misunderstood what level you were looking for initially I believe.
    If no-one is interested in doing it I will get a few non camera type volunteers to record it on their Mammys Sony and tripod and then pay an editor to do what he can with the footage!!

I'd advise against it. The editor will not thank you either. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭high heels

no one will do it for free.. Its a full days work!!

But if ya do get someone pass them on Im off to some european rallys this year and need a editor and will take someone who will work for free!!!!

high heels wrote: »
    no one will do it for free.. Its a full days work!!

I'm not looking to get it done for free, I have stated that in the original post.

Also, its not a full days work, we are on track for no more than 1 hour per day. The rest of the day is their own to do as they want at the circuit.

In any case I have had a couple of PMs from interested parties

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭EIREHotspur

As you were not totally clear on your first post I see why Jeff quoted you 5,000 because as he indicates you get what you pay for with everything.

I would say to him though that Premiere CS5 might change his mind (as it did Phil Bloom's) as regards "****e" video making.

Make sure if you go the Tom, Dick & Harry + Two friends route that they all have camera pretty similar or your edit will look ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭absolutegroove

No, not a €1000.00 per day.

I'm a freelance tv cameraman and my rate is €350.00 per day on a OB shoot. A single camera gig would be the same for dry hire (just me) or €500.00 wet hire (with me and my camera kit).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭NealB

No, not a €1000.00 per day.

I'm a freelance tv cameraman and my rate is €350.00 per day on a OB shoot. A single camera gig would be the same for dry hire (just me) or €500.00 wet hire (with me and my camera kit).

Ok the actual freelance rates are 900 a day for a professional with Digi beta, that is the pro broadcast standard and breaks down as 500 for the cameraman and 400 for the kit. (The recession rate is 800) And the good guys who work freelance own their own kit. Full HD cam op and kit costs about 900 - 1000 plus a day.

There are people who work in the corporate area or staff OBs etc who cost less, (and ops who use lower end cameras like the EX3 and other hdv / dv formats) If your not looking for a full broadcast standard cameraman they would be a good alternative but not the same level of skill, hence the lower price tag. It seems to me that they are who you should go for, so absolutegroove's 500 seems ok.

Advertisement