Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Porting to 3

Options
  • 10-05-2010 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭

I'm considering porting from Meteor prepay to 3pay when my credit runs out.

Mainly for internet as Meteor don't have a good prepay add on.
    20e a month for free texts and calls to any network is nice. I never spend the 20e in the month with Meteor, so taking 9.99 out of it for internet would be well worth it.

Few questions though: (Most threads I've found in searches are quite old)

Do three still block ports?

I see from some post that they have two APNs 3ireland.ie and 3internet.ie. 3internet seems to be the one without filtering and such. Is this true? I presume I can just use that on my phone.

Any one got any reasons definitely not to move?
    Meteor customer care are pretty poor, so they cant do much worse on that front. Coverage should be fine for me too.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Do three still block ports?
    They can be awkward when you attempt to port away from them.

Other than that I don't have a problem with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mathew

By blocking ports I mean internet ports. Like for FTP and such services.

I dont see why porting (ie moving network) would be a problem if I'm on prepay. Just pop in to the new network and let them handle it...

Cheers for the info tho :)

I am not aware of them blocking any ports.

Ah good stuff..
    Thanks for that. Think Ill give them a go when my current credit runs out so.

If I really dont like it I can just move back.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

The 3internet is designed for the dongle modems, so its open and unrestricted. You can be used on a handset though no problems. The 3ireland is a private connection, similar to o2 with internet versus open.internet etc.

• Advertisement

Thats what I was hoping.
    Perfect.

Just to clarify.. The APN I need to enter is:
    3internet.ie

yes?

Thanks for all the help :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Yep, well its 3internet, no .ie

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

mathew wrote: »
    Mainly for internet as Meteor don't have a good prepay add on.
    20e a month for free texts and calls to any network is nice. I never spend the 20e in the month with Meteor, so taking 9.99 out of it for internet would be well worth it.

Any one got any reasons definitely not to move?
    Meteor customer care are pretty poor, so they cant do much worse on that front. Coverage should be fine for me too.

The only thing about 3 is their good coverage in my experience...the rest is like a dirty night club toilet seat with a ribbon on it...believe me meteor customer care is d **** compared to 3 (i read from a book to your answers)...

Though free weekend calls and free texts are a good move :) might get alot of customers their way :) at some stage maybe free calls and texts to any network will come :D

though i had 3 and their calls are quite expensive compared to meteor :( and customer care just drives me nuts...only reason why im not with them right now!

I havnt had to ring Meteor custome care in ages so I doubt Ill have too many problems with that.

The main draw for me is the internet add on while keeping my free any network texts, and then there is the bonus weekend calls.

Call price wise, theyre only 6c per min more expensive that Meteor. For someone who spend 36cent on calls since May 1st and a total of 4e on calls in April I dont think its gonna break the bank.
    With the weekend free calls Ill probably end up calling more too and being charged less for it!!
    Davy wrote:
    Yep, well its 3internet, no .ie
    Thanking you very much.
    I probably would have put in the .ie and then come crawling back here wondering what was wrong :P

Free texts are up on Monday, so Ill be moving over to them next week.
    Kinda sad to be leaving meteor after 6 years!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,993 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

It says this in the T&C's
    Unlimited internet subject to fair usage limit of 250 MB per 30 day period and subject to €5 internet add-on being purchased out of €20 top-up.

First of all its not exactly unlimited at 250mb!?
    Secondly what does the €5 add on mean? Is it that it comes out of the €20 top up so you only have €15 credit to spend on calls outside of the weekend?

• Advertisement

Im nearly 100% sure that was 9.99 for 1GB yesterday.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

mathew wrote: »
    Im nearly 100% sure that was 9.99 for 1GB yesterday.....

You talking about mobile Internet? thats down to €5 now I see.
    Whats the catch I wonder?

Its down to 5 but also down from 1GB to 250MB
    I think.. I could be remebering wrong. But I'm nearly certain the website said 1GB yesterday

Got this clarified.

It was 9.99 for 1GB, they have now changed it to 5euro for 250MB.

So they have basically doubled the price. Guy on the phone was very honest about it. He just said they decided to end the 9.99 offer and change it to a 250MB for a fiver offer. He obviously didnt have a reason for it.

But there ya go!

Manager in the 3 shop on Grafton St today tried to convince me it was actually 5euro for 1GB... Checked in Carphone warehouse after tho and they said it was 250MB then i rang 1913 and they confirmed it..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,908 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,993 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I'm confused about this as well, I was under the impression you didnt buy an add on and that the €5 comes out of your €20 top up so leaving you with €15 credit? The whole offer is presented shockingly poorly. I wouldnt go near it until I went into one of the 3 shops and got them to explain it to me. Is there even any 3 shops anymore or did they just close a load of them?

Typical false advertising from 3.

i think you missed frapping T&C's fair usage policy applies :)

Ye i was thinking that last week, i think i might have mentioned it on here, but they cleared display it on the tv, yet the website is very poor. You would think they would have some sort of warning

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Is there even any 3 shops anymore or did they just close a load of them?
    Are you mixing up 3 and 3G stores?

• Advertisement

3G Stores got liquidated

While 3 Stores are open here and there

I'm confused about this as well, I was under the impression you didnt buy an add on and that the €5 comes out of your €20 top up so leaving you with €15 credit? The whole offer is presented shockingly poorly. I wouldnt go near it until I went into one of the 3 shops and got them to explain it to me. Is there even any 3 shops anymore or did they just close a load of them?
    I tried going in and asking them but I got different information from the two shops I tried.

One manager told me that the calls and text offer was only on until November, after then you will be charged for everything. She also tried to convince me that the internet was 1GB. She even got her collegue to show me on his 3Pay phone. He went through the process of buying it with me. It definately said five euro for 1GB.

The other shop claimed the offer never ran out once you signed up for it. That shop told me the internet was 250MB for a fiver.

I then rang three last night. The guy confirmed it was 250MB for a fiver. He also said that once you sign up for the offer and top up by 20 every month you will get the free texts and calls.
    It says in the T&Cs tho:
    This offer is only available to 3Pay customers topping up by a minimum of €20 in one go between April 20th 2010 and 30th November 2010

So I really dont know. It all seems a bit up in the air...

Edit:
    Forgot to say, I was also told in the first shop that the add on is effectively free.
    If you port over they give you 5euro free credit every month that you top up with 20euro for the first 10 months. So that pays for the add on.

Doesnt explain the 'unlimited'. 250MB is hardly unlimited. I'd be staying away from youtube and full websites. Stick to mobile sites and maybe a bit of push email (without attachments or pictures).

I wish they would get the website sorted out.

When I log in and go to buy the Internet ad-don it showing:

"OK, you’re about to buy an Internet Add on

Get access to the internet

Internet Add on
    Mobile Surfing 1GB €5.00 "

WTF?

Sort it out 3!

Ye, the guy on the phone said there were a few problems with the chage over to 250mb. A number of customers were still being sold 1gb for the wrong price but they're 'working on rectifying those problems'.......

ha! so buy now before its fixed!!:cool:

Advertisement