Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MINI HEART ATTACK! NEED ANSWERS!

Options
  • 10-05-2010 7:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

Quick question...ive just noticed on my 20 week scan photos that on the top left hand corner , after my name there is a lone standing "F" ........ Surely that doesnt mean im having a girl....DOES IT???!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

No its to tell them that they are looking at the Face of the scan and not backwords....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Pinkdust

God thank you... i actually nearly lost my life when i spotted it! EXTREMILY tempted to find out the sex now after that bout of excitement!! :)

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Pinkdust wrote: »
    God thank you... i actually nearly lost my life when i spotted it! EXTREMILY tempted to find out the sex now after that bout of excitement!! :)

Thanks again

Hay... there is a chance i am 51% right or 51% wrong.... But I noticed that on the monitors and was convinced we were having a girl... So now we have a boy named sue.....:) We do actually have a boy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Pinkdust

haha... johnny Cash would be proud! :)
    Hoping to get the 4d scan done in a month so i think we'll find out then.. its a MUST! I think ... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Spinach

I'm just guessing but since it comes after your name it might mean simply that you, the patient, are female ;)
    My scans don't have this but there is a number after my name which I presume is just my patient number in my doctor's practise or whatever.
    I did find out the sex of my baby at my 19w+5d scan and it was nice and clear, did they not ask you if you wanted to know at your 20 week scan or had you not decided?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭MYSTICA1

Spinach wrote: »
    I'm just guessing but since it comes after your name it might mean simply that you, the patient, are female ;)
    QUOTE]

Ha ha !! I'm sure that's the first thing they check in the scans .. it might indicate a problem if there was an M after the patient's name !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Surely that's a given? :D

Well I know being preggers can make us self-absorbed but ultrasound machines have many other applications in medicine, believe it or not! Some even on male members of the species :P

I would imagine that they are programmed with fields to record various patient data including, but not limited to, the name. But like I said, twas just a wild guess :)

Well I know being preggers can make us self-absorbed but ultrasound machines have many other applications in medicine, believe it or not! Some even on male members of the species :P

I would imagine that they are programmed with fields to record various patient data including, but not limited to, the name. But like I said, twas just a wild guess :)

is this addressed at me...coz I'm not preggers...just using common sense :D

And I'm just pointing out the flaw in your common sense... but I am pregnant so happy to admit I'm probably the irrational one ;)

Come on OP sort this out for us - ring the clinic and ask them what the F means!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭ani_mal

make sure you will go to qualified doctor to know how to read/check baby sex.
    My doctor?? in cavan hospital put me on the table and stated: I wasn't trained in recognition of baby sex... I thought Im gonna kill him.
    I was in shock!!
    pity my husband wasn't there with me that day, otherwise I would find out.

who hires these uneducated people?

ani_mal wrote: »
    make sure you will go to qualified doctor to know baby sex.
    My doctor?? in cavan hospital put my on the table and stated: I wasn't trained in recognition of baby sex... I thought Im gonna kill him.
    I was in shock!!
    pity my husband wasn't there with me that day, otherwise I would find out.

who hires these uneducated people?

ah no are you serious? :rolleyes: I wonder was he having you on...I remember going for my scan and asking the sex and she seemed a bit reluctant in telling me. As it turned out babs was facing the wrong way so she couldn't tell anyway :D

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭ani_mal

ah no are you serious? :rolleyes: I wonder was he having you on...I remember going for my scan and asking the sex and she seemed a bit reluctant in telling me. As it turned out babs was facing the wrong way so she couldn't tell anyway :D

I'm deadly serious. I presume that the person I was seeing was just a consultant, he wasn't rude towards me, don't get me wrong.but I could not understand his engligh at all. had to ask 4 times to repeat.. frustrating experience
    I made a phone call today to my doctor and spoken to his secretary and said that if next time Im gonna be seen by black doctor who can not speak proper clear english (not african) and have lack in medical education Im gonna lodge official complain for neglectful practice..

this doctor was sort of consultant i presume working as a support for main obstetrician.
    it is honest true. Cavan hospital btw :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

if next time Im gonna be seen by black doctor who can not speak proper clear english (not african) and have lack in medical education Im gonna lodge official complain for neglectful practice..

So it's ok if they're white but can't speak "proper clear english"? :rolleyes:

You can keep that kind of racism to yourself please. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

I made a phone call today to my doctor and spoken to his secretary and said that if next time Im gonna be seen by black doctor who can not speak proper clear english (not african) and have lack in medical education Im gonna lodge official complain for neglectful practice..

this doctor was sort of consultant i presume working as a support for main obstetrician. it is honest true.

Eh, your own English isn't perfect judging by this post:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

I'm deadly serious. I presume that the person I was seeing was just a consultant, he wasn't rude towards me, don't get me wrong.but I could not understand his engligh at all. had to ask 4 times to repeat.. frustrating experience

this doctor was sort of consultant i presume working as a support for main obstetrician.
    it is honest true. Cavan hospital btw :)

The evidence here (and I've underlined a few linguistic and writing issues for you), would tend to suggest that you're the one "who can not speak proper clear english".

By the way, where can one learn to speak proper clear African? It sounds like an interesting language.

To the original point. I believe some hospitals are reluctant to give the sex of the baby in case a mistake is made. They cannot always state the sex definitively.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

churchview that sort of correcting someones post is frankly rude and tantamount to bullying, please don't do it again.

Reading an ultrasound correctly so that you can clearly be as certain as possible of the babies sex is a skill and something that in other countries qualifited ultrasound techincans do in hospitals, not all nurses and drs have the training for it.

Advertisement