Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

david brown 990 pto problem

Options
  • 10-05-2010 6:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭

hi all

have a problem with my pto on my 990 it will work fine with a hardy sprayer no problem but when i try a small rotary mower behind the lever will not stay , i have heard a few people say there is an inspection plate below which behind it you adjust something any thoughts or experience would be greatly apreciated
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

PANADOL wrote: »
    hi all

have a problem with my pto on my 990 it will work fine with a hardy sprayer no problem but when i try a small rotary mower behind the lever will not stay , i have heard a few people say there is an inspection plate below which behind it you adjust something any thoughts or experience would be greatly apreciated

thats not good tbh .. did you check for wiggle / play in the pto shaft itself? worn cross shaft splines will cause that

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭denis086

on our 165 we had a problem with engaging the pto when you tried engauging it the lever would just judder and not engauge we got a neighbour to adjust it by removing the plate on the side but everything seem fairly alright but it helped a little it turned out wear on the clutch pedal bushes and the shaft that holds it on meant the pto clutch wasnt full engaging so i got a less worn shaft and pedal from a scrap digger and fitted them and the problem was fixed but seeing as yours seems to be engaging ok just not staying engaged seems like its being caused by something else only ever heard of them being hard to engage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

the inspection plate is for adjusting the clutch, as already mentioned by the previous posters it most likely not that as corkcomp said check for play in the splines

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭PANADOL

snowman707 wrote: »
    the inspection plate is for adjusting the clutch, as already mentioned by the previous posters it most likely not that as corkcomp said check for play in the splines

Thanks to everyone for the quick replys , splines how would you check them without opening up the tractor ? Maybe this is relevant you can start it on pto and it will last for a while cutting but eventually the lever will silp back , this never happens with the sprayer only the rotary mower and when you try to engage the pto while tractor is running all you get is a ginding sound and vibration in the pto lever ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

Thanks to everyone for the quick replys , splines how would you check them without opening up the tractor ? Maybe this is relevant you can start it on pto and it will last for a while cutting but eventually the lever will silp back , this never happens with the sprayer only the rotary mower and when you try to engage the pto while tractor is running all you get is a ginding sound and vibration in the pto lever ?

Try shaking the pto shaft itself with a stencil or something to see if any free play? That's to be expected that it's ok on sprayer and it's not under much pressure driving sprayer pump

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

hi all

? Maybe this is relevant you can start it on pto and it will last for a while cutting but eventually the lever will silp back , this never happens with the sprayer only the rotary mower and when you try to engage the pto while tractor is running all you get is a ginding sound and vibration in the pto lever ?

Aha yep it's revelant your last comment could be clutch related, but it should not slip out.

Is there a slip clutch on the pto drive of the mower? and if so is it working ok.

Advertisement