Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medical card - Dentist

Options
  • 10-05-2010 5:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭

I have the worst tooth ache in living history so i booked an appointment with the local dentist. The girls briefly asked was I in agony, I replied I was, she said thats ok as with changes they can only do an emergency exam if you are on a medical card . Does this mean I have to pay for anything they need to do ?I tried looking up welfare.ie but couldnt figure it out.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭burkey85

Afaik, the medical card doesn't cover dentist work anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭lucy2010

Oh christ im having the week from hell - I got letter this morning to say illness has been cut off as I didnt attend a medical ... what bloody medical ????? Cant get through to them...... & I will gladly take a pliers to my own mouth very shortly to get rid of this pain ........ Thanks for letting me know

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭burkey85

Don't hold me to that now;)
    But it was planned to stop dentistry work under the med. card this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭kardarie

The medical changes are as follows as far as i know, they only allow you to have up to three free fillings a year and unlimited amount of extractions. This is what my dentist has told me as i was booked in to get a few filled but will have to wait a year now or pay...! Its gone mad.

kardarie wrote: »
    The medical changes are as follows as far as i know, they only allow you to have up to three free fillings a year and unlimited amount of extractions. This is what my dentist has told me as i was booked in to get a few filled but will have to wait a year now or pay...! Its gone mad.

Thanks for that - once they can extract the thing I dont care.. The dog is booked into the vet just after my appoint today & I would have gladly told HIM to remove it .. Just in agony

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Lucy can you not borrow the money off a friend or family member? It's an awful state of affairs but you want to avoid extracting a tooth at all costs.

well....

That was so confusing .... I lost my job last year so I am still under PRSI. So technically they can do x under medical card, x under prsi & I pay the balance. Emergency's are covered under medical card.

My gum/jaw whatever is infected so they will take the tooth out in a few days. Loaded me with drugs so hopefully kill the pain.

I omitted initially im not a dentist person. I had a tooth out 12 years ago & my roots had fused together my gums had to be cut open to get it out; but she was really nice & good so im going to get whatever needed done. My mother was so facinated at the fact I went in the first lace ( shes been on at me for years - 12 to be exact) she will pay for it.

Thanks for the advice guys but really is awfully confusing out there in dentist world with regards whats covered & what isnt

Advertisement