Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

MPG - Imperial or US gallons?

Options
  • 10-05-2010 4:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭

When calculating mpg to you use imperial gallons or US gallons?

I get ~41mpg with Imperial and ~35mpg with US.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Bob_Harris wrote: »

Imperial. I never even knew there was a US gallon until I was served what they call a pint over there...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

It depends where you are! Normally we use imperial but nowadays people should be using litres/km, Europe & all that!

Are we in the US ? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,835 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Imperial. I never even knew there was a US gallon until I was served what they call a pint over there...
    Aren't pints the same and its only gallons that are different? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Not a bad number of responses in 4 minutes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,675 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

RoverJames wrote: »

Are you still a subject of the commonwealth? (get the feeling I really shouldn't ask that)

but nowadays people should be using litres/km,

The work of the devil!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

Well litres are a universal measurement.

At the pumps we use litres, and if Americans use litres at their pumps (I don't know if they do) then our calculated mpg will be different to an Americans.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Lauder

Imperial, obviously. Silly question really. We're not in the US.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Quazzie wrote: »
    Aren't pints the same and its only gallons that are different? :confused:

Nope, US pint is smaller.

• Advertisement

JHMEG wrote: »
    Nope, US pint is smaller.

In America, they say "A pint's a pound the world round" which is a silly mnemonic, since in the Empire "a pint of water weighs a pound and a quarter".

Lauder wrote: »

Not so silly. Their gallons are smaller therefore their mpg appear poorer than ours.

Yes I am aware we are not in the US. Last time a checked we weren't in the British Empire either :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Lauder

Not so silly. Their gallons are smaller therefore their mpg appear poorer than ours.

Yes I am aware we are not in the US. Last time a checked we weren't in the British Empire either :pac:

Yes since 1949, but to all intensive purposes we are still part of the UK anglosphere. Therefore given the influence (culturally, politically, socially, historically) its makes since we continue with what we know, which happens to be the Imperial weights and measures, and more recently the metric malarkey.

R.O.R wrote: »
    Are you still a subject of the commonwealth? (get the feeling I really shouldn't ask that)

:p

+ 1

Do we spell like the yanks ? Do we call petrol gas ? No and no, when in school we are taught metric but often imperial too, a gallon is 4.54l ish when in Ireland. Silly question :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Yes since 1949, but to all intensive purposes we are still part of the UK anglosphere. Therefore given the influence (culturally, politically, socially, historically) its makes since we continue with what we know, which happens to be the Imperial weights and measures, and more recently the metric malarkey.

Yeah, honestly, some people might want to get a clue and open a history book (or map).

Matt Simis wrote: »
    Yeah, honestly, some people might want to get a clue and open a history book (or map).

wow, I suppose the :pac: smiley wasn't enough of an indicator that it was a joke.

Perhaps I'll wrap future non-serious statements in [non-serious] tags to let guys like you know the difference.

Am I the only one who thinks my silly question isn't silly at all?

I would like to think so :D

wow, I suppose the :pac: smiley wasn't enough of an indicator that it was a joke.

Perhaps I'll wrap future non-serious statements in [non-serious] tags to let guys like you know the difference.

Your original post wasnt a joke though was it!
    What I think is "silly" is the fact you seem unaware that the Imperial System was (and continues in some quarters) the official unit of measure in the Republic of Ireland until the late 70s. At no point did we ever use American measurements (eg Cups, Fahrenheit and of course US Gallons). Honestly though, how did this even arise as a question?

• Registered Users Posts: 64,846 ✭✭✭✭unkel

What I think is "silly" is the fact you seem unaware that the Imperial System was (and continues in some quarters) the official unit of measure in the Republic of Ireland until the late 70s. At no point did we ever use American measurements (eg Cups, Fahrenheit and of course US Gallons). Honestly though, how did this even arise as a question?

Not all posters here are as old as you or me though :)

The younger generation was taught SI in school and think in it only. A change for the better methinks.

Your original post wasnt a joke though was it!

The question arises becuase mpg calculated in different countries leads to different answers.
    I was merely checking to see if there was an unwritten rule to say you use a certain standard to get a globally uniform answer.

I don't appreciate the "we don't live in the US lolol olol olololol loll ol " type responses. Please don't try to make me out to be a fool who doesn't know what unit we use(d) in this country.

• Advertisement

The question arises becuase mpg calculated in different countries leads to different answers.
    I was merely checking to see if there was an unwritten rule to say you use a certain standard to get a globally uniform answer.

I don't appreciate the "we don't live in the US lolol olol olololol loll ol " type responses. Please don't try to make me out to be a fool who doesn't know what unit we use(d) in this country.

Why would anyone think that ?

The comprehension levels in here seem to be very poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

are you using land miles or nautical miles?
    That'll affect it too.

are you using land miles or nautical miles?

Very true, is there an unwritten rule to say you use one or the other to get a globally uniform answer ?

Very true, is there an unwritten rule to say you use one or the other to get a globally uniform answer ?

What's that in ells per gill?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

"my car gets 4 rods to the hogshead and thats the way I likes it"

unkel wrote: »
    Not all posters here are as old as you or me though :)

The younger generation was taught SI in school and think in it only. A change for the better methinks.

I think I may be younger than you think. :p
    I was taught only metric in school, but am obviously aware of other measurement systems too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    It doesnt matter what you use as long as you do the calculations correctly. Most people here I would guess would use imperial gallons. Although the metric system is far far better and easier to understand, but thats another days ranting :)

Metric system is an awful lot handier but people have a more intuitive grasp of what a good mpg figure is, whereas not as many would know what a good l/100km value was

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

Of course the real answer is neither:
    I visited Christian on Sunday after the match. He needed to run an errand so I offered to drive over to Julian's gaff to collect the gear for Tuesday night. I'd only filled it on the previous Thursday and even after returning home via the Outlet centre - they had some excellent specials on - the tank was still showing about a quarter full. On the Beemer, the light would have been on!
    or maybe:
    I was down in the mudders on Wednesday. She asked me to go and collect de washing from de sisters. I did dat and stopped off for chips in Pa's on de way home after calling into Charlie to talk to him about the sediment in the well. Drove to work the next day and I called back to Charlie in the evening (he wasn't well). I put a tenner in on my way back from work the next day and it brought up between a quarter and a half - dat's pretty good I'd say.
    The only problem with this style of fuel consumption reporting is that it's somewhat, eh, subjective ;)

My own yoke does :

29.25 Imperial MPG, which, divided by 1.2 = 24.37 US MPG, Or, using the formula 100/(Imperial MPG *.354) = 9.65 L/100kms

If you can't make up your mind and don't want to take out your calculator, check out http://www.onlineconversion.com/fuel_consumption.htm

Advertisement