Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Self Conscious

Options
  • 10-05-2010 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi All,

I have terrible issues with being very self-conscious especially regarding my skinny arms. So much so that I can't go out in public wearing tshirts. I constantly wear jumpers or jackets to cover them up. In all other ways Im mostly fairly confident. I don't do ridiculously bad with women either. But it's got to the stage where I know I need to confront it.. I lose all confidence when (at least at first) I take my jumper or top off. I'm sure people look at me and think Im a skeleton. After a while I revert to my normal self, as if Im "adapted" to people seeing my arms. But then next time Im out and take my jumper it happens all over again. I've tried in vain to bulk up, although by my own admission probably not enough. I guess I'm wondering if people see other people who are very skinny as "normal" looking? I even cringe when I see other skinny people, who are probably twice the size of me.
    Is there any one in a similar position or know people like this??
    Thanks everyone.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

You see plenty of skinny guys with girls, I wouldnt be worrying. I'm 5'11 and up until 22 I was 9 stone, I was concentration camp skinny I got plenty of attention. The bigger deal you make out of it the more people will pick up on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Dwn Wth Vwls

Until I read your post I had forgotten I used to feel a bit like that. I never wore t-shirts and used to sit there sweltering in long sleeved tops. The thing is, it makes no difference.

Firstly, everybody already knows how skinny you are, even if you're wearing a tent. You can tell regardless of clothes or jackets. Secondly, nobody really cares, and lots of people are jealous.

Sure, maybe in the future you'll manage to bulk up, but why wait to be happy? Just accept it now that this is your body and be proud of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 HarlowLux

Our flaws are magnified in our own heads, it really is just ourselves that are usually thinking that people are looking at us, people look at everyone, because they're in their eyelines. If im walking down the street I find I glance at eveyone that passes me, not because im checking them out or trying to find flaws, but because i'm hardly gonna walk with my head down constantly. I honestly doubt people are looking at you and judging you over thin arms. I know I wouldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭S23

I'd go along with whats been said so far. Its mostly in your head. All your fears and flaws (real are percieved) are easy to blow out of all proportion in your head.

People will take you on merit as a person not on the basis of how skinny your arms are. And if they don't and are willing to write off someone on the basis of one physical trait then they aren't worth your time.

Just one thing, though, are you physically alright? I mean do you need to put on a few lbs? You are young (I think) so its not a big deal to you if you are clinically underweight at the minute but it will have long term effects if you don't look after your health.

The poster that says he was 5"11 and 9 stone, while its his own business and true I'm sure, but that doesn't mean its alright to be. Quite frankly its not a good idea to underweight.

So if you need to put on some weight then go ahead and do it. However, if you are physically fine and just a naturally thin/wirey build I wouldn't sweat it at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

By the BMI scale, you are considered Normal... If it really bothers you that much you can do weights .. it is something that you can change... I'm 5'8 and would love to be 5'11. I cant change my height, and would love to be 5 '11. You, at least, can make your arms bigger if it bothers you that much, it's just a matter of putting your mind to it. You will eventually fill out when you get older as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

As someone who used to be very big and muscular I can tell you that, in the majority of cases, girls actually prefer skinny to muscular. Of course the perfect balance is having a small amount of muscle whilst being lean, have you considered taking up a sport such as rugby or even Mixed Martial Arts? If you hate going to the gym and find it monotonous there are other ways to get more physically big without having to get yourself up for a dreaded session in the gym.

Advertisement