Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reading is fun and mental.

• 10-05-2010 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭

Just happened on this corner of boards and am excited. Should make more time to mooch around boards and not just lurk in ah. Have been keeping my own reading logs for many years but it will be great to have them in the cloud, might motivate me to pay a bit more attention when reading too! I suppose i'd better give myself some structure, so i'll go for,

Title
    Author
    Review
    Book in ten words or less
    Memorable lines

At the moment i'm reading through Kurt Vonneguts novels so i'll post up a review starting with the Sirens of Titan.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭bluefinger

Title Sirens of Titan
    Author Kurt Vonnegut
    Review
    A meditation on time, religion and science. This felt like i was a young boy reading 2000 ad comics again. Chock full of unlikely but probably well thought out science fiction. Written about 50 years ago there are many themes that would not be out of place in a novel today. A very pleasurable escapist read.

3 people infinity and a dog

Memorable lines
    A purpose of human life, no matter who is controlling it, is to love whoever is around to be loved.

Take Care of the People, and God Almighty Will Take Care of Himself

I was a victim of a series of accidents, as are we all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭bluefinger

Title Portrait of the Artist as a young man

Author James Joyce

Review
    Not the light read you might expect after reading the first fewpages. What Portrait does is it gives you an excellent view of what it was probably like to be Joyce. This book charts the development of the main character Stephen Dedalus, (who crops up again in Ulysses) from a young sensitive boy through a guilt ridden adolescence to a devout catholic to finally a committed artist.

Literary genius grows up in ninteenth century Ireland.

Memorable lines
    Ireland is the old Sow that eats her own farrow.

I go to encounter for the millionth time the reality of experience and to forge in the smithy of my soul the uncreated consciousness of my race.

Memorable Passage:

On confiding to his friend Cranly that he believes he has lost his faith Cranly questions why would you become a Protestant? To which Stephen replies I said he'd lost his faith not his self respect, why give up one absurd belief stem that is at least coherent for another that doesn't possess that coherence?

Advertisement