Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Sound Engineering Course

Options
  • 10-05-2010 4:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

Hi there
    I was hoping to get some advice from Boards about where is the best place to study sound engineering? Also what course is the best option. There is a lot out there and most very expensive.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭101001

there are also an awful lot of 1-3 year fetac and hetac courses around the country that arent private and fee based and are as good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

Cork school of music have cutting edge studios and equipment. Worth a look. I'm not sure as to what courses that they actually offer. But from experience they do have the best of the best course wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Mikeydb

It depends what aspect of sound engineering you want to study. There are a lot of Studio based courses around the country such as pulse recording college and poppy hill. These are brilliant and you will be working with the best equipment in the country imo, but are very expensive. Im talking upwards of 4500!
    Also these courses are completely private so there will be no grant or back to education allowances available.

As for basic and live sound engineering i think there are a few courses dotted around the country, Waterford IT and dun laoghaire are a couple if i remember correctly.

I did a lot of looking into this last year. Im a sound engineer with no formal qualifications. Qualifications are not needed imho, the best way to learn is from an experienced engineer but you need some contact or connection to get your foot in the door. I would recommend canvassing all your local theatres, Event companies, theatre companies. Volunteering is the best way of getting in.
    Be prepared to make lots of tea and push cases around and run cable, because you will be doing a lot of this, qualification or not. Everybody starts at the bottom, and snootiness and thinking you know it all because you have some "distinction" from bla bla college will not be tolerated.

Thats just my 2c, and im speaking from experience so maybe iv given you something to think about

HTH
    Mikey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 doglover7

In my opinion, the best sound engineering courses in the country are Ballyfermot College of Further Education, and Pulse Recording in Dublin. Ballyfermot isn't a private course so it's not too expensive.

Ballyfermot's website isn't too impressive but I recommend that you talk to the students / lecturers to get a feel for the course. It's run over 2 years and as far as I know they team up with the Rock School in bcfe for the live part of their course so you get proper experience in actual venues on top of everything else. They have a fantastic setup equipment-wise as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 doglover7

Just a quick note regarding the previous post - Although I agree that there's no substitute for hands-on experience, I wouldn't write-off the formal education part of it either. You'll have plenty of years to start from the bottom and work your way up but it's also pretty important to get your qualifications as well.

Personally, I've been through media courses and have a masters degree and trained as an editor on the job (from the bottom etc etc). I really do believe that college is an important base from which to start - I wouldn't give up my degree for anything, and no matter what people tell you, it does give you an extra little edge in interviews that you'll need in this industry.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭NealB

I have worked in the broadcast industry, independent sector, for 18yrs. I have never been asked for my educational qualifications. A short course will give you the overview you need and a handle on the basic equipment, try Film Base. No need for three years in college for a bit of paper (although the mammy's do love the bit of paper). If you are mature and ready for serious work, then get out there and start as a trainee. It's all about the experience, and people do teach on the job. It is a never ending education because the technology keeps developing. N

Advertisement