Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Can you pay tax online after buying second hand these days?

Options
  • 10-05-2010 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭

I'll be buying a new (well, second hand) car soon and I was wondering will I be able to pay tax online or is it still a case where I have to go into the motor tax office and pay it there for the first time?

When I last bought a second hand car 2.5 years ago I had to wait for the log book to come from Shannon and then had to go and pay the tax at the local tax office as no info for logging in online was supplied.

Is that still the case?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

yep, still the case

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭no1beemerfan

As far as I'm aware its only the renewal form will have the online pin number so unless the owner has the renewal letter (providing its not been off the road for a while) you'll have to pay your local motor tax office a visit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

As far as I'm aware its only the renewal form will have the online pin number so unless the owner has the renewal letter (providing its not been off the road for a while) you'll have to pay your local motor tax office a visit.
    And even if he has the pin, then the disc will arrive at his address!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭no1beemerfan

steve06 wrote: »
    And even if he has the pin, then the disc will arrive at his address!

True! Must think things through before posting! But it'd be taxed within four days so the fella could post it or Mr D could collect it. Be a bit quicker than waiting on the Reg Cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Thats an option alright, not an ideal one though.

Can I get a photocopy of the log book before its sent off and go into the tax office with that and get the tax paid without having to wait for the new book to come back from Shannon?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

You can change the address on www.motortax.ie when you are renewing online.
    It always asks if the details are correct. That might sort your problem assuming you have his renewal form with PIN.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

I bought a second hand car recently and I taxed it online last week for the first time but I did have to wait for the reg details. I sent them an e-mail and they sent me a pin number. It will need to be registered first in your name before they'll do it.

Roanmore wrote: »
    I bought a second hand car recently and I taxed it online last week for the first time but I did have to wait for the reg details. I sent them an e-mail and they sent me a pin number. It will need to be registered first in your name before they'll do it.

Who exactly did you email and what details did you have to send?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

Taxed mine online last month, had already received new log book (or whatever they call it now), first.

loobylou wrote: »
    Taxed mine online last month, had already received new log book (or whatever they call it now), first.

How did you get your pin for logging in online?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

You can pay online or by post - so you dont have to go near the tax office. You can only pay online if the tax hasnt run out - i.e. the car has been continuously taxed. If the tax has lapsed you have to fill out the form and either go in person or post it off.

Btw- they are pretty good on the auld email - answered my queries within a few minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Tubbs4

draffodx wrote: »
    Thats an option alright, not an ideal one though.

Can I get a photocopy of the log book before its sent off and go into the tax office with that and get the tax paid without having to wait for the new book to come back from Shannon?

If you have the Log book, bring it into the Tax office and tax your new car. They will give you the new Tax disc, also they will take the log book off you and they will send it away for you.

I just did this last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Nicholas46

draffodx wrote: »
    I'll be buying a new (well, second hand) car soon and I was wondering will I be able to pay tax online or is it still a case where I have to go into the motor tax office and pay it there for the first time?

When I last bought a second hand car 2.5 years ago I had to wait for the log book to come from Shannon and then had to go and pay the tax at the local tax office as no info for logging in online was supplied.

Is that still the case?

Before you send the ownership form off to Shannon, go to the tax office with the ownership form and tax the car, they will allow you to tax the car even though it's not in your name, then they will take the ownership form off you and send it to shannon to get your name put on the form.
    Your car will be taxed :)and the OS form will arrive in about 4-6 weeks

Advertisement