Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

carry a weapon for protection

Options
  • 10-05-2010 3:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭

I know it is illegal to carry weapons for protection but do you think it is morally right?

The things that are happening to men who walk alone here in Europe are scary. I rarely walk alone at night but it should not be this way. Is it really morally unacceptable for decent gentlemen to carry a knife for protection?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 CleanSheet

I think a gun wud be saffer.. If ur gonna carry a dangerous weapon a gun would be better.

You would be less likely to have to use it...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

No I dont think it is, if you have a knife and do get into an altercation youre inevitably going to end up stabbing someone. or worse murdering someone.

The fact you used it regardless of whether or not it was self defence would make no differance youd still be a scumbag who walked around with a knife on them.

Lets say youre drunk someone pushes you, you have a knife in your pocket youre going to grab it and use it.

Can you jsutify a reason for walking around with a lethal weapon on you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I carry a swiss army knife on me at all times. Not for defence but for all those handy little things. If I was ever attacked by someone I would wrap my fist around the knife(closed) and punch him really hard. Then I would run away(though if I had time I would give him a swift kick to the goolies too). Carrying a knife(blade) for defence is a very bad idea. There is a decent chance the person who attacks you will be more experienced with knifemanship than you anyway. Plus do you really want to have to serve time just because you stabbed some scumbag.

All that said, if I lived in the US or another country where gun laws are lax, and was allowed carry a concealed gun then I would carry one and hope never to have to use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Fremen

The kind of situation where a knife would actually be useful (i.e. when you're literally fighting for your life) comes along very rarely: I would say less than once in a lifetime on average.

On the other hand, the kind of situation where you randomly get in a brawl happens once every few years for the average guy in his teens/twenties. At a time like that, a weapon is just a liability. Win or lose, you're going to be the bad guy in the eyes of the law for raising the stakes in a fight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

This will end well alright.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

I've never carried any type of weapon around with me, luckily I've been in very few situations that would warrant having one. But these days so many teenage and early twenties knackers are carrying at least some form of bladed weapon...would be an unwise idea to carry yourself incase they managed to take it from you, and they'd have no qualms about using it either.

The more people that use weapons, the higher and faster increase in weapon-related crime and injuries/fatalities. Look at London for an example of how things have really gotten out of hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

If someone was too big for me to take on I wouldn't have the confidence using the knife against them

Would consider pepperspray if in a dangerous area

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Aodan83

In a fight if you pull a knife then you are immediately the bad guy, as Fremen and luvblmers01 have already said. Apart from the danger of seriously injuring, or even killing someone, you still have to contend with the fact that it is an illegal weapon, and using it or even producing it in a fight is more than likely going to land you in more trouble than its worth.
    I'm not too gone on the whole gun thing either. Even if you are legally allowed to carry a gun and it does make you feel safer, you have to remember its just as legal for the other guy to have one. Who's to say he won't use his, even if you don't plan on using yours! If it comes to a situation where you both pull guns, and shots are fired, then you're an even greater risk to innocent bystanders as you are too each other. It's one thing to keep guns in your house, but another thing entirely to carry one around on the street with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Thread reeks of stupid.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

or if your more of an FHM type of guy....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Carrying anything with intent to use as a weapon is pretty much illegal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭SLUSK

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Carrying anything with intent to use as a weapon is pretty much illegal.
    Captain Obvious comes to the rescue once again!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Carrying a knife is more dangerous than not carrying one. If a altercation happens and someone knows your carrying a weapon, they'll attack you more viciously and more than likely with a weapon aswell. Plus it's totally impractical, when would you ever need a knife?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭audidiesel

legal questions aside. carrying a knife is a non runner anyways. by their nature, these attacks are random. this means that you would have to carry a knife everytime you went out. that just isnt practical.

also in that situation most people wont even think of the knife unless there is some sort of buildup. when the adrenaline starts thinking stops.

the likelihood of escalation is also much greater.

finally, if you pull a knife on someone. even if they started punching you on the street. you can expect to be arrested and brought before the courts the next day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Most times when I'm around town I'm dressed in full bike gear, a smack of a glove with kevlar knuckle protectors would sort your average skanger out, or I'd just knock them on their ass with my helmet if there was more than one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

No I dont think it is, if you have a knife and do get into an altercation youre inevitably going to end up stabbing someone. or worse murdering someone.

it wouldnt be murder first of all
    The fact you used it regardless of whether or not it was self defence would make no differance

of course it wouldbut leaving that aside is it just the fact he is talking about a knife that bothers you? if it was gun or a baton or a rock would you feel differently?
    Lets say youre drunk someone pushes you, you have a knife in your pocket youre going to grab it and use it.

only if your an idiot
    Can you jsutify a reason for walking around with a lethal weapon on you?

yes, to protect yourself.if i was living in america or they were legal here i would at least own a gun for home protection if not carry one around for personal protection

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭PK2008

PeakOutput wrote: »
    it wouldnt be murder first of all

Ok legally it mightnt be murder maybe manslaughter but to the average joe your stll going to be a scumbag who stabbed someone no matter how it panned out.
    peakoutput wrote: »
    of course it wouldbut leaving that aside is it just the fact he is talking about a knife that bothers you? if it was gun or a baton or a rock would you feel differently?

Nope anyone who carries a weapon around on a day to day basis is an idiot

only if your an idiot

As i said above. Ireland is not that dangerous a place were one need to be carrying a weapon at all times. IF you go out expecting trouble itll find you like an idiot with a weapon.

yes, to protect yourself.if i was living in america or they were legal here i would at least own a gun for home protection if not carry one around for personal protection

Yeh and look how well thats working out in America? Theyve one of the highest murder rates in the world because intstead of when a fight does break out they dont use fists they both (idiots) reach for there guns.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Anthony16

audidiesel wrote: »
    legal questions aside. carrying a knife is a non runner anyways. by their nature, these attacks are random. this means that you would have to carry a knife everytime you went out. that just isnt practical.

also in that situation most people wont even think of the knife unless there is some sort of buildup. when the adrenaline starts thinking stops.

the likelihood of escalation is also much greater.

finally, if you pull a knife on someone. even if they started punching you on the street. you can expect to be arrested and brought before the courts the next day.

What about a stun gun/tazer?They are unlikely to kill someone but would allow u to get away unharmed.Think they are illegal though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Aodan83

Anthony16 wrote: »
    What about a stun gun/tazer?They are unlikely to kill someone but would allow u to get away unharmed.Think they are illegal though
    They are unlikely to kill, but that doesnt mean it doesnt happen. I would imagine its quite rare though and normally due to some other factor as well. Still you have to consider the fact that because they are supposed to be non-lethal people may be more willing to use them, resulting in people getting tased in situations where it was unneccesary or just plain stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Aodan83 wrote: »
    They are unlikely to kill, but that doesnt mean it doesnt happen. I would imagine its quite rare though and normally due to some other factor as well. Still you have to consider the fact that because they are supposed to be non-lethal people may be more willing to use them, resulting in people getting tased in situations where it was unneccesary or just plain stupid.
    Jebus could you imaging the state of Temple Bar at 3 o'clock in the morning when people are carrying tazers?

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

I have done a lot of self denfense work over the years, need it with my work occassionally, anyway my legal back up is a a small AA maglite using it in a hammer fist is very effective. However, before anyone carries anything to protect themselves train hard and regular in seld denfense. Good hard sparing help you under pressure and people learn that taking a few digs in most case will not seriously hurt you.

The best self defense weapon you can carry is a trained mind.

Yeh and look how well thats working out in America? Theyve one of the highest murder rates in the world because intstead of when a fight does break out they dont use fists they both (idiots) reach for there guns.

canada has similar laws without the increase gun crime

its not the law thats the problem its the culture in america

canada has similar laws without the increase gun crime

its not the law thats the problem its the culture in america

Lets call a aspade a spade here canada is the exception from the normal, also just over 5% of canadas population owns a gun.

Look at africa, america, south america all places were guns a readily available gun crime and murders are rampant. Lets not kid oursleves were not the canadians, if you go out in Dublin city centre on a friday or saturday night all you see is fights.

Now can you imagine if all those people had the right to carry a gun what do you think would be the outcome?

Now can you imagine if all those people had the right to carry a gun what do you think would be the outcome?

i dont think the drunken scum that are starting fights in temple bar would be given a gun licence in the first place so its a non issue tbh

i dont think the drunken scum that are starting fights in temple bar would be given a gun licence in the first place so its a non issue tbh

well maybe some of them wouldnt but a lot of people you see fighting at the weekends dont have criminal records so they could.

Plus when you leglise ownership of guns they become much more readily available legally or ilegally because there already out ther on the streets. So for people who would be refused a license all of a sudden theyd find it much easier the get there hands on one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

You already have decent "weapons" which can be used to get out of situations.

A bunch of keys in your fist can help deliver a ferocious punch, your belt can be easily removed and can keep attackers at distance, a handful of coins can be thrown but above all, after gaining any slight advantage turn and run.

Use the head and try and avoid any hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

I own firearms, no firearms are issued to individuals for personal denfense. Though to be fair its lot easier to buy an illegal firearm than to buy possess you legally.

But in relation to you point, people like the above could get a license as as lot of them would not be on the Garda radar, but the big thing is prove of your reason for owning a firearm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

Make a fist with your good hand then punch the palm of your other hand.
    Now, make a fist around your phone and punch the palm of your other hand with the same force.
    Feel the difference?
    As said above keys are also a good weapon. Dont carry a knife or anything like that, not only can it get you into to trouble but your opponent might get it off you

Advertisement