Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Church Teachings and the Young

Options
  • 10-05-2010 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Have a genuine question about what young people know about the Church's teaching.
    Do you think they are aware that the Church condemns homosexuality?
    I was talking to a few friends about this and we are all of mixed opinions about what young people-those under 18-are actually learning from Church/mass.
    P.S. This isn't a personal issue for me as I am completely atheist.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

23border wrote: »
    Have a genuine question about what young people know about the Church's teaching.
    Do you think they are aware that the Church condemns homosexuality?
    I was talking to a few friends about this and we are all of mixed opinions about what young people-those under 18-are actually learning from Church/mass.
    P.S. This isn't a personal issue for me as I am completely atheist.

If by "homosexuality" you refer to homosexual acts, then yes, I think a young person in Ireland would need to exceptionally ignorant and stupid not to know that the Church condemns such acts.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 23border

I thought that too, but the point was raised that they do not understand what transubstantiation (a fundamental belief of the Church) is, so why would they know what the Church teaches over anything else?

I thought that too, but the point was raised that they do not understand what transubstantiation (a fundamental belief of the Church) is, so why would they know what the Church teaches over anything else?

I think you're comparing apples with oranges. All of us, irrespective of age, tend to find the subject of sexual behaviour a bit more interesting than the theological discussion about a wafer. Therefore we pay more attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 23border

The comparison is apt and not as remote as your post may suggest. Although the belief maybe irrational and illogical, the fact remains that it is of importance to the Church as it is a fundamental issue.
    The issue of homosexuality and the Church is a relatively current affair, and although equally as illogical, nonetheless, as important as magic wafers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

I think a lot of young people are ignorant of the religion they were raised in. In college I was surprised by what most of my "Catholic" friends knew about their religion (not a lot as it turned out)

But then in my experience unless someone has an actual interest in something, rather than simply going along with something because they have been raised this way, they aren't going to have much interest in it.

Cultural Catholics as we call it in A&A.

The friends I had that were actually religious, ie had an active interest in their religion, knew a lot more than these other people, though these were in the minority.

• Advertisement

The comparison is apt and not as remote as your post may suggest. Although the belief maybe irrational and illogical, the fact remains that it is of importance to the Church as it is a fundamental issue.
    The issue of homosexuality and the Church is a relatively current affair, and although equally as illogical, nonetheless, as important as magic wafers.

Ach, if you're just going to troll there's not much point keeping the thread open.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement