Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Books on Liberation Theology

Options
  • 10-05-2010 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend a book on Liberation Theology for me? Something like a Dummies Guide would be great. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

It really depends what you mean by Libertarian Theology. But by way of practical demonstration - as opposed to a theological exposition - you might be interested in this or this. You might also be interested in the works of Desmond Tutu. I'm not Catholic so I'm afraid I can't advise on any books that deal with Catholic specific theology.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭hivizman

sitstill wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a book on Liberation Theology for me? Something like a Dummies Guide would be great. Thanks

Some of the core works on Liberation Theology were not originally written in English, and I don't know of a "Dummies' Guide"-type book. But you should start with the works of the clerics most associated with the radical version of Liberation Theology. Gustavo Gutierrez is often regarded as the founder of Liberation Theology. He wrote A Theology of Liberation, first published in 1971 and most recently republished by SCM Press in 2001. Another leading figure is Leonardo Boff, who wrote a short book Introducing Liberation Theology, currently published by Orbis Books (edition dated 1996).

Liberation Theology was not at all popular with the authorities in the Roman Catholic Church, and many of the earliest advocates suffered problems from church discipline. However, it still seems to have an influence on more radical tendencies in Catholicism, including radical thinking on gender, and this is discussed in the collection of essays edited by Christopher Rowland The Cambridge Companion to Liberation Theology (CUP: 2nd edition, 2007).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭wolfsbane

sitstill wrote: »
    I had a quick look at this and I think you will find it very helpful:
    "Christian Revolution in Latin America:
    The Changing Face of Liberation Theology"

http://home.earthlink.net/~ronrhodes/Liberation.html
    ____________________________________________________________________________________
    Matthew 4:4 But He answered and said, “It is written, ‘Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God.’”

Advertisement