Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Slow puncture + motorway

Options
  • 10-05-2010 11:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭

Was driving along the other night on the motorway and I heard a sudden bang to the right back of my car. Pulled over and checked it and saw that a large strip of my tyre was missing. Didn't realise it was a slow puncture till the following day. But I didn't have a spare on me at the time (besides the point). So I got back in to the car, drove for the rest of my journey at around 35-40mph, put my hazards on and stayed in the slow lane. Was this the correct thing to do?

To my surprise, only two people beeped at me for the whole journey!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

It was a very dangerous thing to do, you should have had the car recovered. Out of interest, did your wheel survive?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Yeah the wheel was fine. Verrry slow puncture.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Renn wrote: »
    To my surprise, only two people beeped at me for the whole journey!
    That doesn't surprise me. :(

When you see people pulling out of a shopping centre with a space saver tyre you have to wonder if they drove there like that

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I would be interested in seeing a picture of your tyre and more importantly the thread depth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I wonder does this mean the recession is causing more car accidents?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Confab wrote: »
    I wonder does this mean the recession is causing more car accidents?

The increased accident rate because of people failing to maintain their cars properly would be more than offset by the reduction in overall traffic on the road.

There is a far higher percentage of cars in bad shape on the road now than three years ago and and almost every second or third car had a blown bulb last winter which was indicative of the low levels of maintainence or care given by Irish people to their car.

What you did was very dangerous Renn and you could have prosecuted for dangerous/careless driving. Driving at 55 to 60km/h on a Motorway both highly dangerous and downright stupid and having your hazard lights on did not make it ok. What you should have done was drive off the motorway if you were near a junction and seek help there or else call the AA from your mobile or the Motorway phone and remain away up on the grass bank a good ten metres away from the car incase some rubbernecker ploughed into it.

Advertisement