Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New garden shed questions

Options
  • 10-05-2010 9:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭

I'm getting a garden shed in the next day or two. It will be going directly onto grass in the back garden. it will be a standard wooden shed.

is there anything I need to lay down on the grass before i put the shed down. Any tips will be very helpful.

thanks in advance
    Neuro

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Waffle

A wooden shed in contact with the garden would rot very quickly
    You need to lay concrete blocks. The number depends on the size of the shed. These need to be level.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

You need to raise the shed on blocks. Otherwise rats will burrow under the shed and I presume the ground damp/cold could rot the shed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Jokesetal

my 2 cents.....

As before, Blocks are essential.

1. Spray the site below with weedkiller (to kill any weeds)
    2. A sheet of plastic (to stop new weeds growing underneath)
    3. Put bown 4 inch solids (two high) or a single 9 inch cavity blocks (numbers will depend on the shed size) at corners and half way points and centre
    4. It the span is large you may need lengths of 4 x 2 (resting across the blocks) to give more support. (old pallets do this very well).
    5. A couple of blocks to use as a step at the front.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

I'm getting a garden shed in the next day or two. It will be going directly onto grass in the back garden. it will be a standard wooden shed.

is there anything I need to lay down on the grass before i put the shed down. Any tips will be very helpful.

thanks in advance
    Neuro

Why not check with your shed vendor as they will be able to advise you. Normally a firm level site and X nr of blocks (usually 4" solids) depending on shed size. You can prepare the ground, grass will die and area will dry out once shed is in situ. But it is better to put in a firm (compacted hardcore base) which will prevnt rodents and foxes etc from making burrows etc.

Note the step should not be higher than 6" (150mm) otherwise it is a nasty inconvenience to negotiate with lawnmowers etc.

Advertisement