Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feeling sick around meat

Options
  • 10-05-2010 12:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

I used to be fine around raw and cooked meat when I first went veg, but over time, when someone with me is eating or cooking meat, I gag on the smell/sight.

I just want to know if there's other people that can relate, as I'm the only veg I know.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Although I am not, I do know many people who have at least a discomfort about it. You are certainly not alone. :)

I know the longer I have not eaten it the less it is associated with food it has become to me, more like just a dead animal, same as a dead person really. Similar?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

turns my stomach, hate the smell of a fry especially. I avoid the meat aisle in the supermarket as much as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

I'm not squeamish about it but I could understand that some people might be. It's definitely not abnormal.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

I've grown to dislike the small of meat cooking/cooked meats alot more over these past 3 years, not to the point of gagging but its pretty horrible and I usually have to pinch my nose to avoid the smells:(

Strangely enough I can make sandwiches for my mam or something if they have cold meat in them, even touching the meat sometimes but ugh no not cooked stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭SadieSue

The smell of meat cooking definately turns my stomach. Its the greasy smell especially with Lamb and other Roasts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

I'm usually okay with cooked meat, except roast chicken for some reason, but a butcher's or the meat aisle in the supermarket makes me feel a bit dodge alright. At least cooked meat smells like food, there's this manky dead body disinfecty smell off large quantities of the raw stuff.

I don't particularly mind cooking meat, I wouldn't jump at the chance or anything but I'll do it if I have to, I'm actually a bit fascinated by it because I like cooking and obviously don't get the chance to cook meat very often. I'm terrible at it though, hard to tell when something looks cooked when you've never eaten it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

I tend to speed up if walking by a butchers alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭madrabui

We bring biscuits/sweets/cakes into the office on a daily basis, but people have started to bring in fried chicken. My stomach lurches every so often.

Also at BBQs I tend to sniffle a bit at the pig on a spit.

I’m a bit surprised at myself as I fall of the wagon every so often and have a piece of chicken.

I would have been very much like this.
    In the last fews years, i have ended up in situations where I have to buy and be around cooking meat regularly.
    It doesn't upset me to the point of gagging anymore.
    You can desensitize yourself to the fact of what it is if you so wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I know the longer I have not eaten it the less it is associated with food it has become to me, more like just a dead animal, same as a dead person really. Similar?
    Same here. It doesn't disgust me or otherwise make me feel ill, but on those very rare occasions when I'm handling it, I don't have any "eat it" desires going through my head. It seems about as appealing as dog food to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

My mom always gets me to cut up bits of chicken for the dog. It's that really greasy, fat-globuly, disgusting chicken. *shudder*.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

haaha that 'fat globuly' brings back some ewww imagery.

I don't follow the meaning of your post Kobe.!

I see the post was deleted for spam. *dusts hands*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Oo..

i understand what you mean completly.

the smell is stomach turning.

i think its one of the worst when walking past a butchers/fish shop and the smell is following you the whole way down the street.

just hold your breath and hope it doesnt last the full street...

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Coleyoscar

Agree completely. In a hundred years time our descendents won't believe that people used to keep bits of dead animal around their homes...and then eat them. My only regret about vegetarianism is not starting earlier in my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Coleyoscar wrote: »
    In a hundred years time our descendents won't believe that people used to keep bits of dead animal around their homes...and then eat them.

[citation needed]

tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Coleyoscar wrote: »
    Agree completely. In a hundred years time our descendents won't believe that people used to keep bits of dead animal around their homes...and then eat them. My only regret about vegetarianism is not starting earlier in my life.

Apart from the fact that our acendents wouldn't have evolved without having hunted it and eaten it so our descendents in a way, would be thankful.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Coleyoscar

Fair point, perhaps I didn’t explain myself clearly. I don’t think anyone would be surprised at our ancestors killing and eating animals when they were living a life that was, as Hobbes put it: “..Solitary, poor, nasty, brutish and short”. My contention is that people, living in civilised society in the 22nd century, will look back at us in the 21st and will find the eating of animal flesh as barbaric when we live in a time where there is no argument either survival, convenience, taste or nutritional, to continue the practice. Just as drink driving, smoking in hospitals and corporal punishment in schools, for example, have become socially unacceptable my contention - perhaps, if I’m honest my hope - is that the slaughter and eating of animals will also someday become a thing of the past .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Maybe so. I also think that people will eventually give up meat (silly people) but definitely not in the next 100 years. I doubt even by the end of the 22nd century. We've eaten meat for 200,000+ years. Falling short of some cataclysmic event there won't be an immediate change in that (and in context, a couple of hundred years is nothing).

• Advertisement

Teferi wrote: »
    Maybe so. I also think that people will eventually give up meat (silly people) but definitely not in the next 100 years. I doubt even by the end of the 22nd century. We've eaten meat for 200,000+ years. Falling short of some cataclysmic event there won't be an immediate change in that (and in context, a couple of hundred years is nothing).

Might depend on hbow well they advance in the making of 'real' fake meat, which has been already made. Think it takes like a million for a burger atm, and doubt it has the right texture yet. I think what Coleyoscar thinks will happen, not so sure on it happening in that length of time like yourself. People have a lot of other issues to deal with first, it's not that long ago black people and women had no rights, gay people still aren't accepted by all etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Might depend on hbow well they advance in the making of 'real' fake meat, which has been already made. Think it takes like a million for a burger atm, and doubt it has the right texture yet. I think what Coleyoscar thinks will happen, not so sure on it happening in that length of time like yourself. People have a lot of other issues to deal with first, it's not that long ago black people and women had no rights, gay people still aren't accepted by all etc.
    I reckon, like everything else, market economics will start to take over on this front. Meat is expensive to "grow", process and ultimately this makes it expensive to buy.

Veggie alternatives are already approaching the point where they're cheaper to grow and process into meat-like substances, and once companies begin to realise that there are greater profit margins in meat substitutes, they will start to move towards that market.

We may even find that this will happen without any major public consciousness shift. It could be something as simple as Green Isle discovering that it's cheaper to make frozen lasagne using a non-meat base. So they switch to the veggie base, keep the price the same, no-one notices the taste difference and cha-ching!

The more companies that move towards non-meat, the cheaper non-meat becomes and the more expensive meat becomes, which causes people to actively seek out non-meat products.

One can dream...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

seamus wrote: »
    It could be something as simple as Green Isle discovering that it's cheaper to make frozen lasagne using a non-meat base. So they switch to the veggie base, keep the price the same, no-one notices the taste difference and cha-ching!...
    That's been happening for years. AFAIK most, if not all, "Pot Noodle" type products use soya rather than meat.... and that's just one example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Slaphead07 wrote: »
    That's been happening for years. AFAIK most, if not all, "Pot Noodle" type products use soya rather than meat.... and that's just one example.

The sneaky stuff is more of a problem than actual "meat" though, like chicken flavoured noodles/crisps/soups might be completely vegetarian, but jelly sweets, strawberry yoghurts, orange drinks etc still aren't neccesarily. I suppose the non-vegetarian additives and preservatives are only cheaper because they're by-products of the meat industry though, so if less meat is being produced and it becomes more expensive it'd get more practical to develop low-cost, high-quality alternatives. Can't be that blimmin difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

Smell of bacon frying is personally one of the most repulsive smells I can think of, and I live just around the corner from a chicken manure heap!!

Did you always hate it or like it then hate it after being veggie? I think I'll always adore that smell heh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

Did you always hate it or like it then hate it after being veggie? I think I'll always adore that smell heh.
    Pretty sure I must have liked it, recall liking the smell of liver frying. But god, the smell now even cooking downstairs is just vile!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

I'm ok with it tbh but my aunt (also a veggie) feels physically ill when she's near meat cooking as a result of the strong smells.

Advertisement