Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Problem Installing aftermarket CD player.

Options
  • 09-05-2010 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hello,
    I have a 98 Nissan Almera N15 which has the original Philips Radio/tape player which I want to remove and install a CD player. Now I bought a middle priced Sony CD player, run of the mill, standard which I have tried to install myself as I already installed one on a Yaris and thought I could make a good stab at it.

Now, when I tried to install it and had all the connections connected, it didn't come on, so I tried using one of the different wiring diagrams that came with the CD player, and changed the wiring to the "switched" power supply diagram. This time when I connected everything, the CD player, the inside made the noise that it had received power as I could hear the disc reader spinning (as if it was starting up). But, when I attached the facia of the CD player, it wouldn't come on, or even light up.

This car, when I bought it, came with an old Nokia hands free kit, which I don't use, but when I followed the red power cable for the radio, it links in with the hands free kit wiring behind the glove box. I don't know if this has anything to do with the CD player not coming on, but at this stage my head is wrecked trying to get it to work.

My thoughts are that it maybe the Hands free kit is maybe interferring with the power to the CD player, or maybe that somehow, weirdly, the facia ont he new CD player doesn't work or is maybe broken.

I son't really have the money to get it professionally fitted, especially when I think that I am so close to actually getting it to work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
    Ben.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭bmw535d

that red wire is usually the ACC lead going to the key barrel. it turns accessories on and of eg your Nokia car kit. it also tells the radio to turn on and off eg the fascia should light up when you turn the key to position 1, so its defently the car kit that is interrupting the signal to tell the radio to turn on. yes your radio has power the yellow wire takes care of that but the radio isn't getting the signal to turn on from the position of the key..if you don't use the car kit my suggestion would be to disconnect it and see what happens.if it works then you have found your problem.

im currently having a problem with my shogun jeep..all was fine for about 2 years and suddenly it has trouble finding stations and keeping them all i hear is static most of the time.i took out the aerial lead and shifted it about, it turns out that is i touch the inside prong of the lead to the inside female socket i get a signal but once i push it in further the static overpowers the sound..i have no idea what is causing this:(

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Benbolo

Thanks bmw535d! Any idea on how I'd disconnect the hands free kit? I don't wanna short out anything or buzz myself off the car! That sounds weird that yours'd start acting up after two years of working fine?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

You would be better off identifying what is what 1st regards your feeds etc, For your kit your going to have +12Vdc a switched 12vdc and a ground.

Use a multimeter to identify as this will limit the risk of you shorting out your radio.

Does the car have standard ISO interface plugs? might be easier getting leads to plug into the ISO jack and into the radio, easier and less messy than butchering the wiring loom.

Yeah it has standard ISO plugs alright and these are the ones I've used to attach it with, I don't even have to get a Nissan lead to plug tht from the car to the new radio. It still doesn't work with that, and I don't have a multimeter. I do think it's the hands free kit though.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭kqcregg

On a 95 primera I remember having to run a new earth to solve a similar problem. Something to do with grounding the case/cage for the player if thats of any help!

• Advertisement

Ok so took out the old Nokia phone holder/charger thing, still doesn't work. I don't think the power is getting to the CD player somehow and I dunno how to fix it without trying to replace wires. Does anyone know if I need special connectors for that model of Almera as I have a generic Nissan one that fits, but doesn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭keithg89

this happened me, My fuse was blown. So before you do anything rash just check it

Hey, last month a mate of mine had a similar problem, only in a Ford Focus, the cd player started making noise and some of it was lighting up (all normal) but wouldn't actually switch on, but it turned out it was a blown fuse that was the problem. I think it was the fuse from the ignition to the head unit that blew. Check your fuses! Hope this helps.

Ok, thanks lads, the fuse to the radio is fine, under the bonnet, but where would the fuse for the radio ignition be? Or what would it be labeled under?

Benbolo wrote: »
    Ok, thanks lads, the fuse to the radio is fine, under the bonnet, but where would the fuse for the radio ignition be? Or what would it be labeled under?

There should be another fuse box inside the car. In my car its behind a little glove box on the drivers side next to the door. In my mates car (the focus) it was behind the glove box.

Check around those areas and around tho 2 front footwells, you should find a little door or flap with the fuses behind it.

• Advertisement

Ok nice one, I'll check that out tomorrow!

Advertisement