Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eco Friendly nappies, is it really working?

Options
  • 09-05-2010 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭

Hi

running through other topics I found this video.
    http://www.ecobaby.ie/ecobaby_home_01.htm

I was wondering does anyone every used eco friendly nappies (this brand on the web) it and is it worth the price and really doing the job?

I would appreciate any feedback.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I would be very skeptical as to just how bio degradable those nappies are, and honestly if your going to try go ecco nappys I would suggest terry cloth systems.

There doesn't seem to be any stats what so ever on how those ones break down unless your putting them in a worm composter.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭ani_mal

Thaedydal wrote: »
    I would be very skeptical as to just how bio degradable those nappies are, and honestly if your going to try go ecco nappys I would suggest terry cloth systems.

There doesn't seem to be any stats what so ever on how those ones break down unless your putting them in a worm composter.

I read some good opinions about eco nappies on internet, the other thing that concerns me about leading brand which are PAM**RS nappies is that gel can leak onto baby skin, which I heard happens.
    Im not a fan of muslin nappies, will not even try doing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Terpsichore

I was very interested in trying these out, but I have received quite a lot of feedback that in the end it might not be so eco friendly at all because: you need to wash a lot more and considerably increase your use of electric power, water and washing powder and also increase your use of electric drier to keep up with cleaning rota.
    So unless you are a parent at home, full time, have a strong back to handle all the washing and have a big garden with masses of drying lines and maybe help from somebody else... I would be very careful in bying the expensive starter kit.
    Also I heard that the plastic pants make it much easier for the baby to get nappy rash...
    A Mum I spoke to did invest and tried it out, but she had to go back to the disposable nappies after a while for convenience and hygiene.
    I will go back to work after a few months, I live in an appartment without a tumble drier, and I tend myself to have sensitive skin, so all this eco friendly nappy business sounds too much. I am affraid I'll have to go the "easy" way. I'm sure my time will be well filled up with other much important matters...

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭ani_mal

Terpsichore I think you mean "material" nappies. I mean one use nappies but they seems to be more friendly to child rather than Pamp**s.
    They do not need washing :) however they seems not to leak at all and do not have any gel or skin unfriendly liquid absorber.

have a look on the link I attached.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Terpsichore

Thanks Ani mal, you are right, I went on about the wrong nappies! Learning everyday! Will be looking forward to read more feedback about these on this thread :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭TargetWidow

Hi OP

I suscribe to Which magazine and online articles which I use to inform myself about many of the products I end up buying for my daughter (particularly good for car seats and stair gates etc!) Here is a link to an article about the environmental impact of all 3 nappy systems as studied scientifically and with external studies to back the research up. I hope it helps you. For what it is worth nappy rash if it does occur is easily preventable. A pharmacist gave me this routine for nappies and she has never had a episode since....
    Wipe the area of solids etc with cotton wool squares (I like the Irish Breeze ones) then wipe the area again with cotton wool that has been soaked with Elave Baby Oil. Dry with a towel and apply a very light dressing of Morhulin. I swear by this to this day although she is making the move to the potty gradually at the moment.

http://www.which.co.uk/advice/nappy-buying-guide/green-nappy-choices/index.jsp

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭face2face

Hi there, not sure if you mean the ecobaby disposable nappies, so I will add my tuppence worth anyway. I used those nappies which I bought from ecobaby for my three children. My first was born in 2002 and my last has just been toilet trained in March of this year. I really liked the nappies, none of my babies ever had nappy rash, the nappies don't have a smell that you can get with some other disposable ones when they are wet (they smell just as bad when dirty):). I also liked the convenience of having them delivered and found it more cost effective to buy in bulk. I have no connection with the company, but found them really good to deal with, excellent customer service and in the early days when I thought I had a faulty pack, the boss was standing on my doorstep within an hour to replace them, I should add that it was due to my inexperience in the early days that the nappy was leaking, not the product, but I did get better at it! I would have no hesitation in recommending the product or the company. I have also seen the nappies in Superquinn at the same price (17.99 last I checked). HTH

Advertisement